New ducks not social with us

taunya1979

Chirping
Jun 7, 2016
Ok so I got two new ducklings a couple weeks ago and they are with my 5 hens and they all eat along but they won't come near me at all. They just run away I try sitting there with food they walk passed me n keep quacking along. I tried some treats as well no go there too. How do I get these ducks to be social like my chickens? My kids want to bond with them like my hens but they won't come near us the closest I got was about two feet away when they knocked over their food and the hens ate it all so they were hungry but still didn't come close they are about 8 weeks old maybe? The farm they come from isn't a hands on farm animals are food that's all so they weren't handled and such. :( any ideas? They won't go in a pen at night either I have a big crate out there for them with bedding n all but they just snuggle together and sleep :'(

One thing I have notice is when there are more ducks,dont expect them to bond as well to you.A lonely duckling is more likely to bond better.If you ask me ducks are as friendly as chickens.The most I can get my ducks to do is maybe eat out my hands and talk to me and feel comforta e walking within a foot or 2 of me.Evn ducklings that I raised and look up to me turned out pretty distance.

I wanted to bring them in to take a bath but they aren't having any of me near them lol I'll try to keep working on them my chickens run to me and squat for me wait till I let them then they sit up and wait for a treat. They also come running when I call or when I shake a bag of treats

Back
Top Bottom