New hen laying ,egg has blood on it .

TNBlacktails

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
Union County Tennessee
Today i found an egg in my nest box i did not no hens would start laying in the middle of winter,but is it natural for a new laying hen egg to have blood on it or could she have something wrong with her .

Depending on the breed some chickens will start laying in the winter. Our Buff Brahmas have been coming on all fall and the last ones have started laying the last week or so. As to the blood on the egg.....many pullets will lay bloody eggs the first few times as their bodies get used to the process. Nothing to worry about unless the blood does not stop after a few eggs.

Not a concern if it's just a light smear here or there. Can happen to a new layer, or super round eggs, or larger than normal eggs.

Also normal if there is a small amount inside the egg, from where the yolk detached. Look up a photo for the egg laying tract of a chicken, it makes sense when you see the process. Double yolks, soft shell, huge size, all potential kinks that get worked out as the system matures.

When to be concerned is if the issue goes on for some time, or if the hen becomes lethargic or "off".

Back
Top Bottom