New layer glitch?

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
I have a pullet that seems to be laying 2 eggs at a time, possibly from the roost. The first time it happened they looked like they were originally attached as they were both missing the entire tops of the eggs like they were stuck together and then separated when they hit the ground.
This time they are completely seperate. They are softer shells as I can easily break them with my fingers. I want to say they are from my suspected JG but she's only 20 weeks old as she's the only one left to lay and none of my other girls lay this colour. I have two that lay dark brown and 2 that are olive eggers and this mystery bird, she's all black with a beautiful sheen and definitely doesn't look mature enough to be laying (small comb and wattles). Could it be because she's laying too early everything is messed up? These are also the only eggs outside of the nest boxes. The other 4 always lay in the boxes.
Such a mystery.
1000008326.jpg

First thing you need to do is figure out who is laying those eggs. You could snoop around the coop more often, set up a camera in there...there's quite a few things you could do to figure it out.
Those eggs could be from anyone, as they're shell-less and don't have any pigment. But I think it's likely it could be your mystery bird, since all your other chickens lay in the nesting box.
It probably is a new layer glitch, and should hopefully fix soon.
How long have you been finding those eggs?

First thing you need to do is figure out who is laying those eggs. You could snoop around the coop more often, set up a camera in there...there's quite a few things you could do to figure it out.
Those eggs could be from anyone, as they're shell-less and don't have any pigment. But I think it's likely it could be your mystery bird, since all your other chickens lay in the nesting box.
It probably is a new layer glitch, and should hopefully fix soon.
How long have you been finding those eggs?
They do have a shell, it's just very thin. I have camera set up in the coop but of course the eggs were laid just out of sight of the camera 🙄. I have adjusted the camera to watch the corner where these eggs are laid.
I have only found them twice.

They do have a shell, it's just very thin. I have camera set up in the coop but of course the eggs were laid just out of sight of the camera 🙄. I have adjusted the camera to watch the corner where these eggs are laid.
I have only found them twice.
Since you've only found them twice, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure its not something consistent.

Yep pretty consistently double eggs every few days, she also lays a Normal egg in there too. These eggs aren't shell-less but definitely thin shelled. They have a hard outer shell that is easy to break.

Here's a video of the curious phenomenon. 1st egg is laid at the beginning second is laid at around 00:35:30 on the camera time.

Uh oh! So now you've found shell-less eggs 3 different times?
My pullet laid 4 eggs in 24 hours! How is that even possible!? When I went out in the am yesterday there was a little shell-less egg, mid day she laid another egg, with a shell this time, then this morning 2 more shell-less eggs! I can't imagine that she will be able to carry on like this for very long??

Back
Top Bottom