New Peafowl Pen Pics - FINALLY!!!

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Well, after several weeks of working on the new peafowl pen, it is "almost" completed. We still have to put on a sealant, paint it and add more tropical plants and other decorations. I was just so excited, I wanted to share the pics with everyone. The measurements are 28 feet long - 10 feet wide - 8 feet tall. It has a "sun room" where they can hang out during the day and then they will go in their enclosed area at night to roost. You will notice that the entire pen is made from pallets ($0.00). The total cost of the pen was $38.00. The sand was $20.00 and the 2 plants that I purchased from Lowe's was $18.00. Everything else was recycled. Their feeder was made out of recycled wood as well. I don't have a picture of the feeder but will post it later. We chose to use a coated wire. We don't have any predators and have never had a problem with predators, so we were comfortable with this type of wire. Coated wire totally surrounds the sun room area. Wire is in the ground and on the ground. We purchased 3 yards of sand but I think we may need more. Well, that's about it. Take a look and let me know what you think. If you all have any recommendations or suggestions, please let me know. If you see anything that we should change (as far as making it more secure), please let us know. I want my peafowl to be safe and secure. We are first time peafowl owners and first time peafowl pen builders, so we did the best that we could. Thanks to all of you for your knowledge and information about peafowl and for answering all of my questions when I had questions. You all are so helpful with everything. This pen could not have been built without the help of all of my peafowl BYC'ers. Thanks everyone.
smile.png

ETA: We have only (2) 7 month old India Blue Peacocks, so we thought that this would be enough room for 2 peacocks.

This picture shows the entire peafowl pen. The enclosed area in the back is where they will go in to roost at night. There is an outside door going in to the roost area. It looks like a secret door because it blends in with the rest of the pallet wood.
6612_aviary_1.jpg

This pic is the front view of the "sun room" area. The large tree branch is nailed on for a firm hold. They will be able to fly on the tree branch. I will plant other tropical plants and other small trees in this area. We saw some nice trees in our wooded property on the side of the yard chicken yard area.
6612_aviary_2.jpg

This pic is leading into the roosting area. We also found a large branch to use in their for them to roost. We put a tin roof on top.
6612_aviary_3.jpg

This is a pic of their roost. You can see all of the sand in there.
6612_aviary_4.jpg

Inside view of the "sun room". I am thinking that I want a door leading into the "sun room" so that I can close at night when they go in at night. I think that I would sleep better knowing that they are secure at night.
6612_aviary_5.jpg

This is a pic of the top of the aviary. You can see where the branch was nailed in place. We used coated wire. We do not have any predators, so we felt that this wire would work just fine.
6612_aviary_6.jpg

This is an inside view of the "sun room".
6612_aviary_7.jpg

This is a pic of a saga palm that I got on Craigslist. You can see where the wire is going downward into the ground so that predators cannot dig their way in.
6612_aviary_8.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Last edited:
Fantastic! ya'll really did an outstanding job on it! love the use of the pallets & it looks very safe and secure. I'll post pics of our when we get it finished -- right now waiting on posts to set so we can finish running wire.

If your sago palm freezes in our wonderful cold snap we're having right now, just leave it alone & next spring cut it back to the main stalk even with the ground -- it'll come right back out from the roots. I have one in a rock garden by my back door that happened to last year - it was an old one & huge -- I thought I'd lost it but it's come back as big as ever this year.

That is such a nice set up and the price is wow..... I have pea fowl and notice they spend alot of time up off the ground. They like to roost and watch what is going on around them.
Your enclosed area for night time roosting is really good. Very well built!!

Thanks. I will post more pics after we have painted and added more greenery and small trees inside of their area. I'm so excited to release them into their new home. I will also take pics of them in their new home.

Quote:
We ended up getting 3 yards of washed sand for a price of $6.00 a yard. It was a $20.00 total for 3 yards of sand. But I think I need another yard. I want to make sure that they can't get to the dirt.

Quote:
Thanks. It's not complete because we still have to put on the sealant and paint it. We still have more plants and other tropical decorations to put in their play area. I think it may be done in the next 4 weeks. I only have time on the weekend to decorate. When I'm done, I will post the finished pics so that you all can see.

Wow! I love you for posting this. I'm going to be embarking on a pallet coop project soon and yours is amazing! I thought I was going to have to buy a bunch of lumber for the run but I see that doesn't have to be so... Thank you SO much for the ideas!

Quote:
Thank you. And you're welcome. We are big on Reduce-Reuse-Recycle, so we try to get as much free materials as possible. We have a local glass company that places pallets outside their company ALL day long for people to come and pick up. We were picking up pallets every day until we gathered enough wood. We still pick up pallets for our next project. The most tedious part of this was taking the nails out of the pallets before re-using them.

Believe me, you do not have to spend a fortune or buy a lot of lumber. Check your local Craigslist list for a lot of freebies as well as your local Free-cycle group. I'm an avid reader and looker on Craigslist. I'm VERY frugal and I don't like to spend a red cent if I don't have to.

I called around town to get the cheapest price on sand. One place wanted to charge me $15.00 a yard for the same type of sand that I found for $6.00 a yard. Go figure!

I posted on Craigslist that I was looking for tropical plants and I found some of those. My friend Andy from BYC sent me some seeds that I will be planting for more beautiful plants to go inside of the aviary. The plants that I saw at Lowe's were just so beautiful and I thought was a good price, I went ahead and bought 2 of them.

I can't wait until the finished project. I also got some free paint from my Freecycle group. I just snagged a large free mirror on Craigslist that I will use in the aviary. I will be picking that up when I get off of work at 5pm today.

Good luck on your project. You will have fun.

Back
Top Bottom