New plan--Buying a coop

Thank you nminusyplusm! It was SO NICE of you to take the time to type all that out! I'm going to give it a go, and see where I get! If I absolutely can't get anywhere, I'll go ahead and get just two bantams and hope it'll be large enough.

Thank you nminusyplusm! It was SO NICE of you to take the time to type all that out! I'm going to give it a go, and see where I get! If I absolutely can't get anywhere, I'll go ahead and get just two bantams and hope it'll be large enough.
Glad to help! And before you resort to cutting your bantam order in half, let me know how it went, I might be able to help further so you can get the 4 you originally planned (I think they'd be happier in a slightly larger flock rather than a pair). Good luck!

We tried having just a pair at first. Being new to backyard chicken keeping as well. We had TSC 6 chicken coop and run that was too small for 2 chickens. I wound up making it all coop and adding a run. This summer I gave up and built a coop from scratch. With all new lumber, aside from the window, I spent a $100 on the coop, another $100 on the run. And $80 On the Anderson window (cheapest home depot had) I wish I lived closer to you, we could do a "coop raising" and get you starterd right.

I advise against just 2 hens. We could not get through a year without losing one, once to a hawk, and once to egg binding. It is real work to integrate a new one to a flock. We now have three hens. The last time I told my wife we needed a spare. Here is Lilly, the "spare" chicken.

20171207_195744.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom