New plan--Buying a coop

F59C6144-5315-4362-8803-B8A90BA32752.jpeg

There’s conflicting measurements.

I made an account just to comment on this,

I've never understood the conflicting opinions on sizing of coops that i read when getting into this as a hobby, I keep 3 bantams and 3 medium sized chicken in a coop that is around 4' X 4' and have never thought they look cramped. They only use it to sleep in and are out all day with trees and bushes to hide under in the rain. Never had ventilation issues or humidity problems, and the coop stays nice and warm in the winter.

Seems like some people also get muddled with the difference between foot squared and square feet, as they are different.

Last edited:
I made an account just to comment on this,

I've never understood the conflicting opinions on sizing of coops that i read when getting into this as a hobby, I keep 3 bantams and 3 medium sized chicken in a coop that is around 4' X 4' and have never thought they look cramped. They only use it to sleep in and are out all day with trees and bushes to hide under in the rain. Never had ventilation issues or humidity problems, and the coop stays nice and warm in the winter.

Seems like some people also get muddled with the difference between foot squared and square feet, as they are different.
Hi Reed! :frow Welcome to BYC.
As far as figuring out the square footage, you take the length times the width, but it has to be measured in feet (not inches). Of course if you figure in the height, you would get the volume.
If you’re thinking of something different, please explain.

I am new to chicken keeping. The only problem I see about the space - is that now that’s it’s winter weather wise - my chickens do not want to be on a cold ground. So they do come out into the run to eat and drink and then return to the coop. I have a space for them under the coop free of snow (due to plastic sheeting) and they don’t stay under there much because they squawked when the temps dropped to single digits. So, I wouldn’t want them to have too little space.

How long have you been keeping chickens? Maybe do an intro thread if you haven’t already. :welcome

Okay, so I'm not losing my mind after all! They put the dimensions for the big coop in the small coop's description! Well, how was I, a completely newbie to chicken keeping to know that? I took them at their word. Now I'm really upset. We've been planning on how to do a coop and run for MONTHS now, and were thrilled to find this coop, and, to my untutored eye, it appeared to be the size I wanted for 3-4 banties. I'll look at it when we get it, and knock out the wall to the nest box if we have to, but hubby is getting fed up (and I can't blame him) with all this "will this work or not?" when it comes to chickens. Please do remember the chickens will ONLY be in the coop at night, and out in their run for the rest of the time. From dark until light is the only time they'll be in there. And the door will NEVER be closed. There are air vents on the back if you read the description. I saw those dimensions, and I trusted them to be telling the truth! I'm fit to be tied.

Back
Top Bottom