New Roo Ran Away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FancyHairChickenLover, Jul 3, 2010.

1. FancyHairChickenLover

FancyHairChickenLover In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Canton, Georgia
    We bought our first roo today to go with our 9 hens. He is a 4 month old polish, and he showed off for the girls for about 15 minutes, then took off! I was able to get about 10 yards from him in the woods but couldn't catch him. We can hear him crowing every few minutes and he's about 75 yards behind the coop in the woods. What can we do to get him to come home?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Put some girls in a pen/cage out there... he should be drawn to them?? Put food/water out there too...

3. dragonlair

dragonlair Songster

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    When mine occasionally escape, I wait until dark and grab them when they are roosting unless I can sneak up with a fish net and grab them that way.

4. FancyHairChickenLover

Jul 3, 2010
    Canton, Georgia
    Well, all the girls are closed up in their coop now (it's been dark over an hour) and not a sign of my missing roo. Hopefully, the girls will lure him back home tomorrow.

5. FancyHairChickenLover

Jul 3, 2010
    Canton, Georgia
    Rooster came home this morning! Think I'll keep him locked up in the run for a couple days while the girls arevfree ranging till he figures out he lives here.

6. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Yay!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by