New (to me!) Sebastopol Goose

And about how much property do they need to free range? I have three acres is that enough? And im planning on puting them in a coop at night

When we lived on my husband's ranch, our geese usually were in sight of the house. Sometimes they would go over a little ridge in the middle of the day where they couldn't see us. They wouldn't stay out of sight for long though. We had a pond that was a little farther off - they could see it but they never went there without me leading them - it was too far off for them.

I've had geese that would attack strangers but I can't imagine a Sebastopol doing it for no reason. We had a Roman Gander who was a scaredy cat really but he'd attack the UPS truck wheels & the driver had to back up to get a run at the ridge near our house. So Fred (the gander) would bite at those big tires & when the driver stopped to change gears and drive forward, Fred would ignore the truck and come back to the house and geese, flapping his wings and screaming to the geese, "I am the greatest gander in the world." He's lucky the UPS man would wait until he had his waddling behind out of the way before he'd drive forward.

Last edited:
If you get goslings and keep them around the ducks when they are about 3 weeks old they will get along with them. Now when they get older they will get along with them but will pick at them if the get in their way.

Now I have purchased young adults we call teenagers and they seem to do fine with my one and only duck. Yes, they will pick at him. He stays in the same pen as four of my sebs and he get on top of the nest boxes so they do not pick on him.

Last edited:
Please come back and let us know how it works out! :) One of my geese simply ignored the ducks totally - unless they went into what the goose had claimed as HER little pool. When my grandchildren came over, they would sit by the pool and call, "Rosemary, Rosemary" - she'd waddle around until she was in sight - and THOSE DUCKS were in her private pool again! Out would go the wings - she looked like she had lost her mind with her wings extended and neck elongated plus that scream. The ducks were right next to a 5th wheel so Rosemary wasn't even 1/2 the way there and they were under the 5th wheel. She had to come over and look in her pool, checking for hiding ducks I think.

Back
Top Bottom