New to Showing!

Shortstuff112

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 9, 2012
Maryland
I have been raising free range egg layers for the past 10 years but I recently decided to switch to a show flock in the spring. I am planning to get about 8 hens ( would they have a lot of issues without a roster? ). I am wondering which breeds are the most docile and trainable. I have always gotten chicks from Murray McMurrays but they only sell chicks at a minimum of 25. Do any of you know any good websites to get small orders of chicks?

Hens without roosters mean no fertile eggs. The hens don't really care either way. I'd suggest the White Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington, or the Japanese bantam. Not sure about the hatcheries though.

I am new to showing chickens too but have shown dogs in the past. My daughter and I just picked up some Silkie chicks and eggs last weekend for her to show in 4-H. It is more fun (in my opinion) to show if you have nice quality animals to exhibit so my suggestion would be to contact a breeder who shows and would be willing to help you pick out some nice quality chicks. Hatcheries don't usually attempt to breed to the standard of perfection so your chances of getting a poor specimen of the breed are pretty good. The nice thing about going to a breeder is that many are willing to share their knowledge with you and give you some pointers as well. As far as breeds, I would look at pictures of different breeds and research the ones you find visually appealing to see which might be a personality fit for you. I happen to adore LF Cochins because they are so mellow and adorable and my daughter is charmed by Silkies because of their looks and personality. Once you decide on the breeds you want to try go to their breed club website and see if there are a list of breeders in your area and try on here as well. If your state has a BYC thread that is a good place to start asking. Good luck to you, I hope you have fun with it!

Back
Top Bottom