Newbie with seven new chicks. Two unkown breeds help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by starless825, Apr 9, 2009.

1. starless825

starless825 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Portland area
    So basically I'm already addicted. I started with four chicks on last Friday then got three free ones on Saturday (they were from the same store - hence the reason why no quarantine). And I still want an easter egger and a Rhode Island red haha.
    I have one silver laced Wyndotte, one Golden Laced Wyndotte, a buff orpington, two white leg horns, and two unkowns? The three from Saturday were free with the purchase of chick starter. One is definitely a leg horn, but the other two I have no idea.

I'm wondering what breed they are?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unkown #1 AKA Isabella (or Bob - if he/she is a rooster)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unkown #2 AKA Quaye
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also is my set up appropriate? I have them in a dark blue sterilite container, with a heat lamp all times. Started it at 90 degrees now the temp inside (I have a thermometer inside is around 82-85 degrees. Too cold? For bedding I have pine pellets. I use filtered water change it daily and medicated chick starter. Two of them have diarrhea, so I gave them "butt baths" and cut off the excess dried poopies. So far so good no more dried poop build up, but I think they still have the diarrhea. I just put paper towels under the food/water.

Also when can you tell if they are roosters?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Ok I am pretty new too but the close up pictures look like my RIR and the bottom 2 look like my Buff Orps.

3. starless825

Apr 9, 2009
    Portland area
    Quote:I thought the second one looked a lot like a buff orp too, but she doesn't have the same markings as my buff orp chick does. So I wasn't sure. My buff orp has markings on her back between her wings and Unknown #2 (Quaye) doesn't. So I don't know!

4. starless825

Apr 9, 2009
    Portland area
    Any one else have any thoughts on the breed?

5. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I am thinking RIR and buff Orp too... RIR I would almost guaruntee as I just had 16 of them [​IMG]

6. starless825

Apr 9, 2009
    Portland area
    Quote:Yay! I really wanted a RIR. [​IMG] Chickens are so addicting!

Thanks for the reply.

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    yes they are. we had a RIR hen gave to us a few years ago by the neighbors. When we moved she got killed with the other chickens but my hubby and me have reicently bought another. He was surprisingly the one that bought our new one (as a chick) I was sure he wasn't that into RIR's but I guess he misses our old little red hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by