Newbie with seven new chicks. Two unkown breeds help?

starless825

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Portland area
So basically I'm already addicted. I started with four chicks on last Friday then got three free ones on Saturday (they were from the same store - hence the reason why no quarantine). And I still want an easter egger and a Rhode Island red haha.
I have one silver laced Wyndotte, one Golden Laced Wyndotte, a buff orpington, two white leg horns, and two unkowns? The three from Saturday were free with the purchase of chick starter. One is definitely a leg horn, but the other two I have no idea.

I'm wondering what breed they are?
10mts3c.jpg

2mepz80.jpg

Unkown #1 AKA Isabella (or Bob - if he/she is a rooster)
n6413p.jpg

25z1jwi.jpg

Unkown #2 AKA Quaye
27yznkk.jpg

2zszimr.jpg

Also is my set up appropriate? I have them in a dark blue sterilite container, with a heat lamp all times. Started it at 90 degrees now the temp inside (I have a thermometer inside is around 82-85 degrees. Too cold? For bedding I have pine pellets. I use filtered water change it daily and medicated chick starter. Two of them have diarrhea, so I gave them "butt baths" and cut off the excess dried poopies. So far so good no more dried poop build up, but I think they still have the diarrhea. I just put paper towels under the food/water.

Also when can you tell if they are roosters?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I thought the second one looked a lot like a buff orp too, but she doesn't have the same markings as my buff orp chick does. So I wasn't sure. My buff orp has markings on her back between her wings and Unknown #2 (Quaye) doesn't. So I don't know!

yes they are. we had a RIR hen gave to us a few years ago by the neighbors. When we moved she got killed with the other chickens but my hubby and me have reicently bought another. He was surprisingly the one that bought our new one (as a chick) I was sure he wasn't that into RIR's but I guess he misses our old little red hen.

Back
Top Bottom