Newborn chick missing down

Cycomiko

Songster
5 Years
May 27, 2017
Western Maryland
This is my families newest arrival. Born at 5:40am, on the 23rd day. 2 days later than the other 6 I had incubated with it. I had candled it prior, and was the only one I had confidence in, as it was a mint green egg, and all the others were between dark olive and Maran, too dark to candle.
It is bare skinned in places on back, and still has brownish crust on center of back (not the woodchip on butt). I believe that because it was in the only row of 3 in my Magicfly 12 incubator, it didn't see the same temp and or revolutions as the other 6. States holds 9 chicken eggs, should only do 6. The other 6 hatched healthy, with 3 on day 20 and 3 on day 21.
I put it in a brooder all to itself, so it doesn't get steamrolled and pecked at. Is there anything I can do for it to help it along, other than fresh electrolyte and organic apple cider vinegar water and organic gmo/soy free starter feed? It's still day 1, but has in the past our been quite mobile and eating and drinking.
Castle Day1.jpg

Looks like he might have gotten a little stuck in the egg, and pulled out his down when he hatched. If you take a q-tip and wet it with warm water and gently rub it on his back, the gunk will come off. He should gain strength as time passes - hatching is very hard, especially if he got stuck, and he needs time to recover :)

Thanks, Pyxis. We will try that. I honestly thought it was dead in the shell, and then heard it peeping inside on the evening of day 22. We played peeping sounds on a phone next to incubator to give it some will power.

Back
Top Bottom