Newly hatched chick in corner of incubator

Just Rosie

Songster
7 Years
May 10, 2016
Hello everyone,
My ameraucanas decided to start coming a day early! I’m very excited, as this is my first hatch. My first and only chick completely hatched has been burrowing herself in the corners of the incubator. She moved from one corner to the other. I also believe I saw her “panting” earlier. She’s completely fluffed out that I can see, I’m worried, is she too hot in the incubator? Or am I over reacting? I wanted to wait until have I have two fully hatched to take them out, but I also read somewhere that you should wait 18-24 hours. Thoughts?
Thanks for the help in advanced!

Attachments

• 324D5AB5-0DC4-4C09-8C3F-3963EBBA53C7.jpeg
    324D5AB5-0DC4-4C09-8C3F-3963EBBA53C7.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 11
She is way too hot in the incubator. I would personally move dry chicks to the brooder.
Move her to the brooder and give her a little doll or mirror until you can move another chick over.

Last edited:
I had to ask this question last year! I only have a mini incubator but the instructions said to leave the chicks inside for 24 hours too. That's didn't work! I'm pretty sure I lost at least one chick that never hatched cuz it's hatch mate smothered it's little pip hope. Now I give them time to fluff out and move them to the brooder. Good luck with your babies!

Chicks may seem extra warm in the incubator because of the increased humidity, but they won't overheat.
I take mine out at breaks in the action. That may be one hour or eight or more. Personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom