No Eggs in 1 1/2 months.

MorePower7701

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 26, 2010
I have five RIR hens, four are young, but one is over a year old and very healthy. The older hen is the first I got, she was laying eggs at the place I got her from, but not a single one for me. The coop has a large window that allows the sun to shine through out the day, and a light that is on for 3 more hrs at dusk. They have clean straw, a warm coop, great food, they are in a quite area, have pleanty of light, plenty of clean water, everything to the best of knowledge they need. Is there something I'm missing?
hu.gif

How young is young? The young ones might not be old enough to lay yet. The older hen might be going through a molt.

have Patience my 5 RIR laid their last egg on 9/26/2010 and are just starting back up last Friday:ya:D
cool.png

i found a lot of feathers from molting the first 2-3 weeks
plus after talking to people and watching the forum that the shorter days and cold weather are a factor
they will start to come around I'm feeding them 16% crumble and 20% layer (2 separate feeders)
plus a handful or 2 of sunflower seeds and scratch in the AM
also I turn the light timer on early morning and shut it off during daylight hours so they get the natural progression of night to
fall asleep with. The timer shutting off at night was stressing them

I'm not sure how old the young ones are, I know in the 1 1/2 I have had them they seem to be twice the size they were, they now have much larger red combs. The younger ones are moving straw around in the nesting boxes, and setting, but not a single egg.

I think the older one must be molting. How long does the molting last?

I have a similar issue with a year and half old black star... she was laying for her previous owners, but I think I only saw one or two eggs when I first got her probably 3 months ago. She did take most of that time growing back her feathers from either molt or from the roosters on her back... only just got a full back mid october.... Still waiting for her to start laying again.... she is fun to have around either way... very vocal.

Sounds like the older one is molting. The younger ones will get there. They just need their time. They weren't laying before right? If not they will lay no matter the weather and cold I believe. Well I guess the best of luck. Takes patience ours didn't start laying till 25 weeks. The longest ones I have had to start laying.

Well......... it's been 3 months and 1 week now and still nothing. There is not any feathers in the coop, and all of the hens look to be in perfect health. They are getting four extra hours of light each day, from lights installed in the coop. They run around like it's daytime in dead of night, not a clue is night outside. I see local farms selling fresh eggs, but I can't get a single egg in almost four months. Again, is there any advise that might help my hens lay an egg?
sad.png

Hi, I have 2 older RIR and 3 Comets that were new this year and a couple of bantams. All were laying until the weather changed. I am in N. Michigan. I am assuming it is the shorter days as all look healthy.

Back
Top Bottom