No eggs yet!

mizz9

Chirping
Jun 22, 2016
Silicon Valley Area, CA
I thought maybe if I posted about it then chicken-law would say they lay right after I complain!
tongue.png

Our 3 girls are 27 wks old, one Barred Rock, one RIR, and one Black Australorp. No "squatting" or "egg song" practicing yet! But Ginger, the RIR, looks like a "big chicken" with her nice red comb and wattles, so we have been thinking any day now for weeks! They are happy healthy and fiesty free-ranging girls so we are happy about that.

Our non-chicken friends keep asking us if it is because we don't have a rooster, lol

I know, I know, we just have to be patient
smile.png

Free ranging huh?
Could have hidden nests.

I'd check vents and pelvic points, and if the conclusion is 'usually laying' I'd lock em up for a week or so.

Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Thank you for the tips! I will see if I can get the DH to help with chicken wrangling so we can check the vents.

I have been doing "egg hunts" every other day thinking they might have a stash in the yard somewhere. Luckily our yard is all fenced in and there are limited hiding spots, no eggs in any of the chicken hide-outs!

We have a couple ping pong balls in the nest box so hopefully that helps.

No eggs still...even checking all over the yard in any possible hiding spots!

I tried checking the vents by myself right after aart's advice. There was a lot of squawking and annoyed squirmy chickens and I wasn't successful in finding the vents, just lots of fluff lol. First time chicken owner
tongue.png

Anyway, tried again today this time with backup. RIR pelvic bones are about 2 fingers width, Australorp is barely even 1 finger! and BR is a little less than 2 fingers. They were QUITE displeased with having their butts checked! Such princesses.

Guess our girls are just slow growers. They are nearly 7 months old. But keep thinking Ginger (RIR) should be any day (any minute)!!?!?

Mostly it's just really annoying when family/friends keep asking where the eggs are!

I have 7 black copper marans and 4 speckled Sussex pullets who are 26 weeks. The first of the BCM just laid her first and second beautiful chocolate brown eggs this week and that's it. Several of the BCM and most of the Sussex don't even look close. Their combs are still very light and immature. The one who is laying and a few of her sisters have looked ready for over a month now. They'll get there...eventually. ;)

Her 1st egg on the left

Here she is looking directly at the camera with one of her sisters who still isn't laying either.

I have 7 black copper marans and 4 speckled Sussex pullets who are 26 weeks. The first of the BCM just laid her first and second beautiful chocolate brown eggs this week and that's it. Several of the BCM and most of the Sussex don't even look close. Their combs are still very light and immature. The one who is laying and a few of her sisters have looked ready for over a month now. They'll get there...eventually. ;)
Her 1st egg on the left
Here she is looking directly at the camera with one of her sisters who still isn't laying either.
Beautiful eggs! :) :love
I thought maybe if I posted about it then chicken-law would say they lay right after I complain! :p Our 3 girls are 27 wks old, one Barred Rock, one RIR, and one Black Australorp. No "squatting" or "egg song" practicing yet! But Ginger, the RIR, looks like a "big chicken" with her nice red comb and wattles, so we have been thinking any day now for weeks! They are happy healthy and fiesty free-ranging girls so we are happy about that. Our non-chicken friends keep asking us if it is because we don't have a rooster, lol I know, I know, we just have to be patient :)
Good Luck, they look like they should be laying anytime now. :)

I complained and two days later I had eggs, so hopefully it works for you as well. Of course only one is laying out of six but it still stops people from asking "when are you going to get eggs?"

Back
Top Bottom