no money, skills or ideas.... Help?

chickensducks&agoose :

All this makes me feel better! I'm not looking forward to 3 months as a single mom, and the coop needs to get built, and there's nobody else to do it!

its hard doing it all yourself I know. I have always been handy but when DH died I needed to really become both the woman and man. Needless to say I am now in the best shape I have ever been in with huge muscles and I have never been in a gym. I have learned to do everything the boys can do and much more. Even so it never hurts to cheat a little and start with something to build off of like the dog house. You will see by the time your DH comes back how much more sufficient you will have become. Good luck
smile.png

Quote:
its hard doing it all yourself I know. I have always been handy but when DH died I needed to really become both the woman and man. Needless to say I am now in the best shape I have ever been in with huge muscles and I have never been in a gym. I have learned to do everything the boys can do and much more. Even so it never hurts to cheat a little and start with something to build off of like the dog house. You will see by the time your DH comes back how much more sufficient you will have become. Good luck
smile.png

Having been away in the military myself I know your DH will be really happy and feel like he can concentrate on his mission more if you are handling things at home with great aplomb...

best of luck...

Quote:
This is a FABULOUS idea. Can I ask what he used as the 'insulation' he's put inside the pallets?

actually we used regular house insulation that they sell at lowe's. it comes encased in plastic and worked perfectly for what we needed
wink.png

I'd say go with the doghouse idea. You can also use 2 milkcrates tied together with an opening cut out for nesting boxes. You might want to try www.freecycle.org Everything there is free! I've found many decent things there. There's always Craigs list too. For free labor, if your kids are old enough, they can be a big help too! Good luck!!

If you live near a Home Depot or Lowes they have culled wood it's cut to 4' or 6 ft. I built a 6X8 coop for under 100 dollars and if you need somthing cut just ask they are happy to do that for you. I also used skrews instead of nails, windows I used old free ones I just made them slide and old doors also. If you ask they even sell returned or displayed windows and door for ten dollars and up. Craiglist and freecycle works real well, even a rabbit hutch will work. I built my coop DH didn't want anything to do with my chickens so I did it made some mistakes but o well it still works fine and my chicken don't complain I used milk crates for nesting boxes, buckets, wood boxes, Salvation Army has baskets they work also.And you always have BYC to turn for help
Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom