No pip? Day 27 Duck Egg Incubation

Hi I have been reading through some past posts, I am just a little bit worried as my duck egg has no internally pipped (as i’m aware of) and it’s coming to the end of Day 27 nearly Day 28. Apparently my duck egg is a Cherry Valley Duck Egg. The duck appears quite small, but I might just be misjudging it. It is still moving a bit, i can see either the feet or beak moving. The air cell looks a bit weird. When can I expect the internal pip and can anyone give me some help?
depending on your incubator, if it is slightly too cold it may mean your duckling will take a few days longer to hatch ( this is what happens with my ducks, as my incubator isn't the best, but it works!)
my muscovies often take 38 days to hatch and they should take 35-36 days and my mallards sometimes take 31 days to hatch and should take 28, so that may be why.

the air cell is saddled which does make it harder to hatch and internally pip but in my last brood my 2 saddled eggs both hatched but 1 of them I did have to help near the end as he was too tired to fully hatch himself ( he is the bigger of the 2 ducks in my profile picture).
I would wait a day or two before getting too worried.
Also welcome to BYC! 🦆

Day 28 no difference so far, no sign of internal pip yet, still alive and moving a bit though!
Try not to worry, I know it’s hard!
leave it till tommorow before worrying.
what incubator have you got? Can you upload a photo? It may just be that it’s not a really good one meaning it may say a temp but could be lower and that’s why it’s taking longer.
also what is the humidit’s? have you raised it to 60%?

Understandable. I know it's not the best one but just wanted to give it a go :) I can try go to a shop later on today. I rotated the egg up until about day 25, I have stopped now but have been candling to check whats happening
Great, you are doing everything right 👍
hopefully you will have a lovely little duckling very soon!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EEEKit-Tem...4069839&sprefix=Humidity+,aps,78&sr=8-15&th=1
here is a link to a humidity reader which also tells the temp as well so you can get an accurate reading of that-something like this on Amazon prime if you can’t find one at a shop!

I am praying for this little one 🦆🐣

Great, you are doing everything right 👍
hopefully you will have a lovely little duckling very soon!
Update when he has internally pipped! 🦆🥰👍

also make sure you aren’t candling to often as this can shrink rap them as the change of humidity can do this, but every now And then is fine-make sure once he has pipped not to take him out the incubator unless you need to assist or make a safety hole.

Last edited:
Also not 100% sure where his beak is, I think it might be the little orangeish shadow right along the line of the air pocket?
yes she does look bigger and a darker colour. she is probably just taking longer because the incubator is a little cold meaning she isn’t quite ready to hatch, hopefully she will soon be ready to hatch.

i cant see the beak but its probably just because the photo. you can tap on the shell and see if you can hear a chirp, dont worry if you cant hear hear, so long as you can see her moving (its just cute)🥰

Okay thanks, if you can answer this. what could i do if she doesn’t/can’t internally pip
Unfortunately there is nothing you really can do, I don’t think unfortunitly or that i have ever heard of doing.
something dosn’t seem right since it has been a long time since she should have pipped.

its good she is still moving, lets ask some others who may have more answers.
@Miss Lydia
@HollowOfWisps
@New duck mommy 2021

Unfortunately there is nothing you really can do, I don’t think unfortunitly or that i have ever heard of doing.
something dosn’t seem right since it has been a long time since she should have pipped.

its good she is still moving, lets ask some others who may have more answers.
@Miss Lydia
@HollowOfWisps
@New duck mommy 2021
Nothing I would do as we need then to at least try to start the pip before we can help. Before this could be a huge risk
I do think it’s late as temps were off
There has been change in 2 days and there is still veins and movement
I wouldn’t worry yet

Back
Top Bottom