no power

IrishShannon

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Michigan
I have 10 baby chicks 3 weeks old. no power and generator broke. brought them inside but no heat lamp. in small box... just a working iPhone.... will they die?

No they are not going yo die. There are 10 of them so they can huddle. What are they in? Put Blankets over them and put in the warmest room in the house. Hope others have better ideas. REALLY Hope your power comes back on.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Oh goodness, I don't have a answer for you. Have they feathered out yet? What are you using for heat? If you do try and keep them warm some how please make sure they don't get over heated. Good Luck!

Last edited:
do you have a gas stove by chance? If so, could you heat some water and make a hot water bottle or maybe a jar wrapped in a blanket so they can snuggle with that? I'm just thinking out loud here... Good luck to you!

p.s. I bet they won't die - chicks get shipped all over the country and are in boxes for two, three, four days and they live!

Good thought about the shipping. AND they are 3 weeks old so should be alot stronger. Hang in there. We are here for you!

They'll be fine as long as they are inside. Maybe keep them away from any exterior walls of your home. Like LUVDUKS said...there are 10 and they'll produce more heat together than they need. Keep us posted.

hope you get power soon, but babies are older and stronger then new chicks so keep them in small area with small blanket inside and they should be fine with 10 bodies huddle together

I've used hand warmers for such emergencies and also when I am sending baby chicks home in a box.

Many stores carry them in the "sporting goods" area.

Also, if you have an "inverter" you can run a 25 watt light bulb off your car battery for quite a long time before you have to start the car and recharge the battery. 25 watts can keep a small box that is surrounded by blankets etc pretty toasty warm.

Sure hope your power comes on. ...soon
hmm.png

Last edited:
We had hand and foot warmers in the camper that got them thru the
nite, we brought them inside and used a tiny box.We put the warmers inside some of my "footies". Edison won't be on until Monday according to them. My husband fixed the generator and
we can get 120 power, just enough for their lamp ! We should have a working heat lamp on them shortly. thanks for all the support! I so much appreciate it. no power=an excuse to do no laundry !

Back
Top Bottom