No sign of any winter change!

Fussy8

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Utah
I have been told a lot that when the winter hits my hens will begin slowing down and even STOP laying because of the short winter hours and not enough light!!! WELL I have not seen a change!! Utah has had a very non snowy season but the day light hours are less... is this a good, GREAT, or really bad thing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??
hu.gif

You will not notice much change with chickens in their first laying season. After that, you'll see a HUGE change as they quit laying and molt.

I have 20 girls of laying age (varying ages) and only 5 are laying. 3 of those are pullets in their first year.

Or, do you have sex links? My RSLs have never slowed down across their several years of laying, not even during winter. They're little troopers.
thumbsup.gif

for us, they lay awesome in the winter... it's June-September when they quit laying here when ave. temps go over 105... and I even have an AC unit in my coop!

Quote:
Agreed. I am still getting 8 to 10 eggs a day from one coop with 13 pullets/hens, but this is the pullets first winter and the older hens in that coop have finished their molts and have started laying again.

I live in Utah too, and my two red sex-link pullets are still laying, but the other three (two australorps and an ameraucana) have just about completely stopped. The red sex-links and the australorps are all the same age, they'll be a year old in April. Is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom