No sign of any winter change!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fussy8, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    I have been told a lot that when the winter hits my hens will begin slowing down and even STOP laying because of the short winter hours and not enough light!!! WELL I have not seen a change!! Utah has had a very non snowy season but the day light hours are less... is this a good, GREAT, or really bad thing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?? [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You will not notice much change with chickens in their first laying season. After that, you'll see a HUGE change as they quit laying and molt.

I have 20 girls of laying age (varying ages) and only 5 are laying. 3 of those are pullets in their first year.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes indeed. THAT.

I have two pens of first year pullets that are laying up a storm with only 12 hours of sunlight/supplement combination.

The older hens are laying now and then.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Or, do you have sex links? My RSLs have never slowed down across their several years of laying, not even during winter. They're little troopers. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    for us, they lay awesome in the winter... it's June-September when they quit laying here when ave. temps go over 105... and I even have an AC unit in my coop!

6. ChikenNugget

ChikenNugget Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Saratoga County
    I have the same situation here. If anything, mine are laying MORE lately. I am 3 hours south of Montreal. Days are gettin' short!

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:No, they're getting longer now!!! We're past the solstice. Golly, we've probably gained back a whole minute since the darkest day on the 21st. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. I am still getting 8 to 10 eggs a day from one coop with 13 pullets/hens, but this is the pullets first winter and the older hens in that coop have finished their molts and have started laying again.

9. AkMartine

AkMartine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    I live in Utah too, and my two red sex-link pullets are still laying, but the other three (two australorps and an ameraucana) have just about completely stopped. The red sex-links and the australorps are all the same age, they'll be a year old in April. Is that normal?

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Christmas present from my chicken.............my light brahma started back up from her molt! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by