Noisy hens at all times of the day

Nemmie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
So I've had a quick look through previous topics and not quite found an answer, so hopefully I'll get some now!

I have two hens, Marlene and Nuggets (both brown leghorns) and I've had them for around two years. Originally we had three but unfortunately Casserole passed away in February from a couple of different things having been ill from the moment we got her. The other two hens are happy and healthy with free range of the garden, plenty of food, water and shelter.

However, I'm really concerned about how noisy they're becoming. They're laying daily, their poo is normal, no feather loss and there's no signs of mites or anything that could be irritating them. They've not been sleeping in their coop which I've just read may be because it's summer and their coop is just to warm at night, but since not being in the coop they've been getting louder and louder at all hours of the day. One time I've noticed they'll be particularly loud is when the other one is in the coop laying her eggs, the one outside will be very loud. But like I said, it's not just limited to that.

Like I said, I can't find and visible signs that they're unhappy or ill but they are being so incredibly noisy. And to be honest, we're not really allowed them here. All our neighbours know we have them and are fine with it, we've never had any complaints (although quite a few requests for eggs!). The housing estate we live on also doesn't allow people to build fences or for people to keep caravans on their properties which most of our neighbours break, so our neighbours are happy for us to have hens. But no matter how okay they are with us actually having hens, if they're being too loud we won't be able to keep them because we can't have them disturbing the neighbours all the time. It's just not fair on those around us.

I've read on another thread it could be that they're used to attention and are being loud for attention, however with six of us either at work or college, they're mostly left to themselves for several hours every day so I don't think it could be that. And it's not like they get upset with our dog outside either, they're perfectly happy to just walk right up to him with the knowledge he won't hurt them (although he does live inside the house most of the time).

Basically, my hens are so loud we're getting concerned they'll disturb the neighbours to the point we'll have to give them away. They're part of the family now, but if they're already waking us up they have to be loud enough to wake the neighbours up too. It's not fair on our neighbours and whilst they don't mind now, we're getting concerned it will become too much.

Any ideas on what we can do?

I find the older they get the louder they get. Mine are very loud all throughout the day and they weren't so much when they were younger. Thankfully, I live in the country and my neighbors can't hear them. I hope your neighbors won't bug you about it since I doubt there's much you can do short of keeping them in the coop 24/7 which is inhumane.

I find the older they get the louder they get. Mine are very loud all throughout the day and they weren't so much when they were younger. Thankfully, I live in the country and my neighbors can't hear them. I hope your neighbors won't bug you about it since I doubt there's much you can do short of keeping them in the coop 24/7 which is inhumane.

One suggestion I've seen is share some of your eggs with the neighbors. Hopefully, they'll be less likely to complain if they're sharing in the bounty.

If you don't have enough eggs to share, bake something made from the eggs and take that to them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom