Noisy hens--might disturb neighbors

As you're finding out, hens can be noisy. If your laws allow for hens then the noise shouldn't be a problem. That's part of it.

Spraying them with water doesn't seem that it will help - seems like punishing a dog for greeting you? Those noises are just what they do, and short of boarding them up to muffle it, it's going to be hard to change. Someone posted above that some are more vocal and that is very true.

you mentioned more free ranging...that may help. Mine sound like something from the jungle when they want out of the coop. That is a very loud sound!

Last edited:
Hi there chicken lovers!

In the first "chicken noises" movie, the chicken is making a warning call that says there may be danger around.
Although the friendly doggie on the side may be harmless and love his chicken sisters, the noisy chicken is telling his friends to
be on guard.

In the second movie, the call is a "Hey, I found some goodies, come and have a taste!"
Its amazing how chickens know danger and tell the difference between a meat eater and vegetarian.

example one: Ping, my Banty, starts making the warning call when one of the local hunter kitties crosses the yard and won't stop clucking and screeching until the danger has passed.

example two: a larger wood chuck comes into the yard, looking scary (to me) and sits down next to Pingy Boy and happily shares a non meat breakfast with him. No screeching or warning sounds.

Don't ignore the warning call. If you hear it, danger is not far away!

Bill in Rehoboth, MA- "A Right to Farm Community"

As you're finding out, hens can be noisy. If your laws allow for hens then the noise shouldn't be a problem. That's part of it.

Spraying them with water doesn't seem that it will help - seems like punishing a dog for greeting you? Those noises are just what they do, and short of boarding them up to muffle it, it's going to be hard to change. Someone posted above that some are more vocal and that is very true.

you mentioned more free ranging...that may help. Mine sound like something from the jungle when they want out of the coop. That is a very loud sound!

it's a bit different here

the city will allow hens but no rooster since we also have the noise ordinance-- making it unlawful to constantly making noise at any given time

so if someone dog's is barking for 5-15 minutes a day.. they will get a notice from the HOA or the city..

if it's once in a while type of thing then you can get away with it during the day-- but night time is off limit

we have some rentals here in this area.. college kids.. who think it's great to throw a party at 11pm on the weekend.. the cops arrived within 15-20 minutes..

back to my chickens

they are still noisy but since they have more space to explore (whole backyard vs run) they are making less noise

Back
Top Bottom