NONONO!!! I think it's trying to CROW!!! Added pics for eye candy!! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wyo-helpmeet, Jun 21, 2009.

1. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    [​IMG] My favouritest chick (3 weeks tomorrow & an EE) I think is trying to crow!! [​IMG] Unless I can convince the neighbors to keep it, I can't have a roo [​IMG] Basically is opens it's mouth, stretches it's neck & nothing comes out, but at the end of it, it chirps. [​IMG] I have done SO good at not becoming attached until we can sex them, but this one has just really tugged my heart strings!!! [​IMG]

Console me, convince me otherwise, something [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Songster

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    If its any help..

Maybe you chick just thinks it funny to torment you?

If it does turn out to be a boy, someone on here somewhere (i think it was on here) built a 'cock box' (bad name isnt it).

Basically it was a box under the nest boxes, that stayed nice and dark and was too low for the boys to crow properly. They let him out at a reasonable hour when everyone was already awake and therefore not cranky about him crowing...

Telling the neighbours he wont be waking them up 5am is definately a selling point

3. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    Quote:LOL, I do hope SHE is trying to torment me!!!

I actually ran the rooster box & 9am by a neighbor yesterday & she didn't bat a lash except to say good luck. One down.....

4. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Don't despair, just yet.

All of my chicks, as well as many other kinds of birds that I've observed, engage in the behavior similar to what you describe -- they're just moving food from their crops down into their stomachs.

Your chick might be a rooster, but I wouldn't count on it based only on this behavior.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I think it's yawning...

6. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Songster

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    If it crows its gotta go! Just kidding I love my rooster, by accident!

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    3 weeks is a little young for crowing-it may have just been yawning or working something out of it's crop. Don't worry...yet![​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:A little young, but not impossible.
    Using a box to prevent crowing doesn't work. A rooster will find a way to crow, unless you duct tape his mouth shut; which is what I threatened my Thor with today.

9. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    Oh thank you!! I do hope it's food or yawning!!! Do I need to keep an eye on it for anything abnormal? Besides crowing. [​IMG]

10. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    Quote:A little young, but not impossible.
    Using a box to prevent crowing doesn't work. A rooster will find a way to crow, unless you duct tape his mouth shut; which is what I threatened my Thor with today.

Not preventing a roo from crowing, just preventing the neighbors from hearing him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: