Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haunted55, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    It might be in your best interest to get tested... You can either cull them (sad!) or if you want to give them away, just do so with full disclosure. "My flock might have Marek's disease, which is a highly contagious virus to other chickens, and it is often terminal once symptoms show. You are adopting these birds at your own risk and by taking them you agree that you understand what Marek's disease is and how it is spread.". I doubt you'll get many takers, but it is about your only option.

It is VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE that depending on the serotype of Marek's you have (or don't have...) any other flock might be carrying a different type.
    This is sort of hard to explain but essentially the different strains of Marek's will show the SAME symptoms, but a chicken that is immune to serotype 1 Marek's may not be immune to serotype 2. Essentially, unless you know exactly what your flock is infected with, even giving them to someone that already has Marek's in their flock can be risky. They might be carrying a different strain. You could do harm to BOTH flocks in this way.

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    keep in mind it's in the drinking water and chickens will drink for their body weight - much less than say a cow. So even if the dose is close or the same per gallon , they aren't getting the same amount.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

Kathy, 1 ounce = 2 TBLS, or 30ml, give or take. But I don't think it affected your math.

Corid dose , there's a lot of factors that are beyond our control. How much the chook will drink, how much will a sick bird drink, etc.
    This is why I use a tsp per gallon. It's my happy medium.

With ml and grams, I worked with sick babies, and many times we used ml and gram as the same thing.
    4.536 gram would be a teaspoon, give or take.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One ounce of Corid powder is 3.5 tablespoons according to the Corid website. My issue is with people being told that 1/2 teaspoon of the powder is the same as 2 teaspoons of the liquid.

One ounce of liquid is pretty darn close to 2 tablespoons.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    More trivia... 1ml of water equals one gram, but 1ml of mercury equals 13.6 grams. Density, mass, volume, it all makes me feel like I am not smarter than a fith grader, lol. :D

And because I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this stuff I decided to weight 3.5 tablespoons of corn starch and it does weigh almost exactly 1 ounce.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I know baytril is the BEST medicine. But, will Di-Methox work well? I'm working on a budget..... that's the reason why I'm reluctant to get baytril. but I that's the only thing that will work, so be it. The chickens are worse, and now have stopped laying. I need to do something NOW!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you want to treat coccidiosis or a bacterial infection? Baytril will only work on bacterial infections, Di-methox will work for some bacteria and some strains of coccidia.

-Kathy

8. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Nambroth - thanks - I hadn't looked at the strains like that.

this is just horrible, hard to watch and wonder.

9. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty sure that my chickens have infectious coryza. Pretty sure they don't have Cocci. The symptoms are swollen faces around eyes and nostrils, sneezing, and loss of egg production. I just want a product that will work.... even if it's pr icy. But if there's a cheaper med that will work as well,I'll take that!

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by