Not laying yet

Cindychlvr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
My girls are about 20 weeks old. I have dim light in the hen house all night. The chickens went through a molt before they even laid a single egg at which time they were about 15 weeks old, approximately. They hatched around Labor day weekend. I head out to the cop everyday hoping for that first wonderful egg.....nothing yet. How long should it take after a molt for the chickens to start laying for the first time. I also have a rooster. He is very "active" with his girls. I'm hoping that if he is any indication, the eggs will start showing up soon. Any input or advice is welcome. This is my first flock ever.

I went through the exact same thing. I bought 4 day old chicks in June who did not start laying until late december! And a week after I got the chicks My grandma gave me a hen with twelve chicks, and the mom did not lay until december as well.

I'm not exactly sure what kept them, but now they seem to be in a stage of not laying any eggs at all!

I would just make sure they have adequate feed, water, oyster shells (for calcium) , a nice large space to roam around in, and cozy nest boxes (preferably dark with lots of bedding), and from there unfortunately the only thing to do is wait! But the day you check the nest boxes and find a surprise is well worth the wait!

Let me know how things turn out!

i give my chooks laying pelets mixed with weeks
ep.gif
and i was amazed

First of all:
welcome-byc.gif

Anyway, 20 weeks is still kind of early for a chicken to start laying. I've had all of mine start at 7 weeks or later. It really depends on the breed, the amount of daylight, nutrition and if they are broody. Of course, for 20 week olds, i wouldn't expect the last one!
lol.png

Quote:
Is this a commercial feed or a home made one. I'm currently giving them a commercial layer pellet .

Quote:
Is this a commercial feed or a home made one. I'm currently giving them a commercial layer pellet .

I recommend you keep them on grower until you actually see some eggs
wink.png

Quote:

I recommend you keep them on grower until you actually see some eggs
wink.png

I think that is some good advice I will follow. Thank you!! Off to Western Farm I go!!

you might not see any eggs for weeks, mine were hatched in july and I just found my first egg this friday, they are all 28 weeks and only 2 are laying. I've read here on the forums that some hens didnt start to lay till 30+ weeks too. Also I would keep them off the layer too.

Back
Top Bottom