Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Thanks for the replies everyone! Friend that gave me the eggs thought they would have some Australorpe and Aracuana in them from her pen. Will have to do some research to see what an Easter Egger is ;0)

Thanks for the replies everyone! Friend that gave me the eggs thought they would have some Australorpe and Aracuana in them from her pen. Will have to do some research to see what an Easter Egger is ;0)
Most people who think they have Araucana actually have Easter Eggers. They are the most misrepresented type of chicken there is. Australian Araucana have pea combs and crests. Both are dominant genes that should show up in offspring, regardless of what the other parent's breed is.

Is this a hen? It doesn't act like the other girls ( age 18 weeks). It was suppose to be a Welsummer but I think not than i thought Easter egger but it doesn't have the cheeks and the comb is different. Brownie doesn't crow or lay eggs yet, the rooster doesn't breed Brownie either nor do they fight.
it stays with the group as they forage but keeps at a distance.

Agree that's she's a pullet, but just want to add that she is an Easter Egger and not a Welsummer. :)

Most people who think they have Araucana actually have Easter Eggers. They are the most misrepresented type of chicken there is. Australian Araucana have pea combs and crests. Both are dominant genes that should show up in offspring, regardless of what the other parent's breed is.

I like the way you phrase that, junebuggena - "misrepresented" in an excellent word to describe it. I'll have to use that in the future. Although I don't know about MOST - I'd say they're tied with the Production Reds hatcheries like to pass off as Rhode Islands. I have both and sometimes I look back and forth between them and just have to laugh, because they very obviously aren't even the same breed.

Hi
I started my own thread but only got 1 reply so might try here instead! I'm new to chickens and have 5 bantam chicks that are 6 weeks old. not sure what sort of bantams they are, but I think they are just mutts lol. So are the cockerals or pullets???

Penny

Speckle

Goldeen

Lunar

Chickaletta

Lunar and Chickaletta

Hi All,
Thanks to this forum I do believe that I have a good idea of the type of chicks we have but need a bunch of help to determine if we have boys or girls.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4 The next 3 pics are of the same chick. He/she would not stay still

And then the really weird one, Pretty sure this one is a hen but the big ears has got me puzzled. I think he/she is from German decent

I have just bought two maran x wyandotte pullets and given our recent 8 out of 8 male bantam clutch surprise I am more than a bit paranoid about gender and I know there is a chance there were males in the group (I did choose the ones with the smallest, palest combs and wattles!) They were from a big group of mixed ages.

The white and black one is bigger so I'm guessing 10 weeks?

This brown one is a bit smaller and head feathers still coming in so... 8 weeks?

Thank you anyone who can help!

I have just bought two maran x wyandotte pullets and given our recent 8 out of 8 male bantam clutch surprise I am more than a bit paranoid about gender and I know there is a chance there were males in the group (I did choose the ones with the smallest, palest combs and wattles!) They were from a big group of mixed ages. The white and black one is bigger so I'm guessing 10 weeks? This brown one is a bit smaller and head feathers still coming in so... 8 weeks? Thank you anyone who can help!
I think they are both pullets.

Back
Top Bottom