Not sure on gender of my ducks!

WormPie

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2019
Hello!

I'm sure this is probably a pretty common question, but I am unsure on the sex of my 2 pekin ducks!

They are approx 24 weeks old now and I was fairly convinced I had two females until yesterday when I saw them mating (or at least attempting to, it was all very clumsy!). Will maturing ducks mount each other regardless of sex?

I know you can tell by there voice but I'm confused on that too...
They are always chattering to each other as they go about their business and its a kind of squeaky noise however they do quack pretty loudly when they want to. Do females also make a squeaky sort of noise as well as full on quacking?

Neither of them have a drake feather that I can see.

I have attached a picture :)

Thanks in advance!

20190325_160625.jpg

Ducks can make all kinds of cute chatty noises. If sometimes they quack and they both make the same noises, then they are both probably females. Females will try and mount each other sometimes. If one was a male you will be able to see his penis come out from under his tail area when he mounts the other duck, and it will be obvious if you do.

Girl ducks will mount each other, I thought it was strange when we 1st got ducks too.
Our drake is always carrying on and talking to his girls, squirrels or anything else he finds interesting but he is super quiet and raspy. I don't think he is even capable of being loud at all. My guess is if they are making any loud sounds they are females.
Our girls make a variety of different noises, the more we watch them the easier it is to distinguish what their different sounds mean.
Your ducks are super cute!

Girl ducks will mount each other, I thought it was strange when we 1st got ducks too.
Our drake is always carrying on and talking to his girls, squirrels or anything else he finds interesting but he is super quiet and raspy. I don't think he is even capable of being loud at all. My guess is if they are making any loud sounds they are females.
Our girls make a variety of different noises, the more we watch them the easier it is to distinguish what their different sounds mean.
Your ducks are super cute!

Thank you!

I love it when they talk to each other, its the sweetest thing!

Ducks can make all kinds of cute chatty noises. If sometimes they quack and they both make the same noises, then they are both probably females. Females will try and mount each other sometimes. If one was a male you will be able to see his penis come out from under his tail area when he mounts the other duck, and it will be obvious if you do.

Thank you!

The duck on top was biting the neck of the other one which made me wonder if it was more than just ''fooling around'?

Back
Top Bottom