Not sure what to do! Advice appreciated!

OregonPortland

Chirping
Nov 13, 2021
Hello! I am really new to incubating and would really appreciate any advice! I received eggs in the mail yesterday. I let them sit at 55-60 degrees F. Room air is about 55-59. I put the eggs in this morning and when I noticed the incubator was up to 75 % humidity. I then opened the incubator to let the humidity out for 5-10 seconds. Then I remembered I wasn’t supposed to open it for the first 24 hours! Doh! 🤦‍♀️ I have a fan going in the room now and have tried to craft some air catchers to direct the air to rotate. I also have a fan in the incubator. At this point my question is, which is worse…the humidity being this high or opening the incubator
Any advice on how to proceed?

Additionally if anyone has advice on the hatching period…I just figured out that people use a brooder during lockdown. Is that right?
Thank you and I really appreciate any advice on when and how to intervene with incubating, and what range of fluctuations of temperature and humidity are normal?

I'd be primarily concerned about the very high humidity reading. Do you have a separate hygrometer or are you relying on the incubator's display? If the humidity really is 75% at this point in incubation, it should be lowered. You may need to remove water, if it's been added.

This thread may be helpful in determining optimal humidity levels. Pyxis also has a very helpful article on assisted hatching.

Best of luck with your hatch.

I'd be primarily concerned about the very high humidity reading. Do you have a separate hygrometer or are you relying on the incubator's display? If the humidity really is 75% at this point in incubation, it should be lowered. You may need to remove water, if it's been added.

This thread may be helpful in determining optimal humidity levels. Pyxis also has a very helpful article on assisted hatching.

Best of luck with your hatch.
Thank you so much for this info. I was not sure what is really important, what is crucial amd what is approximate. I do have 3 hydro meters and they all are around that. I did develop a method by creating an air catcher in the vent holes to increase ventilation and it’s down to 45! I will read this article! Last time unfortunately I read many contradicting things and so I was constantly shifting gears and not quite knowing what was right…right down to the length of hatch being 18 vs 21. So anyway, this seems like the most credible sight I can find so I’m going to stick to this one!

What kind of incubator do you have? Sounds like you came up with a solution for the high humidity. Everyone has their own method and ideas of the best way to incubate. Much of it is dependent on your individual environment and variables. I have had much success dry incubating between 30% and 45% incubation only increasing humidity at day 19 or when I see the first pip.😊
Also it does not hurt to open the incubator during the first 18 days before humidity is increased. Remember a broody hen will get off the nest a few times a day for up to an hour without harm to the chick embryos.

This has been an amazing place to get help. I'm on my third hatch. My mom asked me to set some of her bantam Cochin eggs. I told her they wouldn't hatch because the pullet and cockerel are only 6 months old. We were wrong.
Oh wow! Interesting! That’s fantastic! You must have done a great job!

What kind of incubator do you have? Sounds like you came up with a solution for the high humidity. Everyone has their own method and ideas of the best way to incubate. Much of it is dependent on your individual environment and variables. I have had much success dry incubating between 30% and 45% incubation only increasing humidity at day 19 or when I see the first pip.😊
Also it does not hurt to open the incubator during the first 18 days before humidity is increased. Remember a broody hen will get off the nest a few times a day for up to an hour without harm to the chick embryos.
I also really appreciate the information about it being ok to open the incubator briefly! I have a little big giant incubator or something like that. I have two now in case the other breaks. It has the fan kit and the egg turned piece too. Do you think those are good ones?

Back
Top Bottom