Not Your Usual Suet Pudding - Help Wanted

OldGuy43

Songster
8 Years
When I was a very little boy my grandmother, who was of English origins used to make a dish she called Suet Pudding. I remember it as a rather unappetizing looking grey-white gelatinous round loaf. However, when served as a side in place of potatos with roast beef and thick brown gravy it was delicious. I've searched the internet with no luck at finding anything like it. I can find desserts and meat pies, but nothing that looks or sounds like what she called Suet Pudding.

Can anyone help? I'd love to make some.

I think the main reason for your empty search is the fact that the English aren't known for their cuisine. Other than fish and chips ( pretty simple ) you will rarely hear folks referring to british food as gourmet LOL. Their dishes were born out of nessesity and not for taste. Ever heard the term that the british are boring and kind of stuff shirts, the same holds true for their food. Very bland simple unappetizing and their meat choices seem uninspired. You often see sparkling references to Italian, french, mexican, german, chinese, ect, but have you ever said ohh hey lets go to that new British resturant LOL, no right.

I no that doesn't help in your search but it may help in why you can't find any references.

I never even heard of it but I tried to look for you a recipe. See if this sounds reasonable.

http://kbkbakery.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/traditional-british-suet-pudding-april-dbc/

Type 2 puddings – Steamed Suet Pudding, sponge type.

(100 grams/4 ounces) All-purpose flour
(1/4 teaspoon) salt
(1.5 teaspoons) Baking powder
(100 grams/4 ounces) breadcrumbs
(75 grams/3 ounces) Caster sugar
(75 grams/ 3 ounces) Shredded suet or suet substitute (i.e., Vegetable Suet, Crisco, Lard)
(1) large egg
(6 to 8 tablespoons) Cold milk

1. Sift flour, salt and baking powder into bowl.
2. Add breadcrumbs, sugar and suet.
3. Mix to a soft batter with beaten egg and milk
4. Turn into a buttered 1 litre/ 2pint pudding basin and cover securely with buttered greaseproof paper or aluminum foil.
5. Steam steadily for 2.5 to 3 hours
6. Turn out onto warm plate, Serve with sweet sauce to taste such as custard, caramel or a sweetened fruit sauce.

See now how does that sound appitizing from the looks of the ingredient list. Very bland, very very basic, and where is the flavor ingredient ??. I am just trying to make a point and don't mean anything by it, just wanting to get an idea from you on what it taste like and the texture.

Quote:
sounds
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
sounds
sickbyc.gif

LOL yeah I went to New Orleans once and they love their shelled peanut's boiled, I try anything once but won't do the peanut's twice
cool.png

Quote:
sounds
sickbyc.gif

LOL yeah I went to New Orleans once and they love their shelled peanut's boiled, I try anything once but won't do the peanut's twice
cool.png

sickbyc.gif
I hate whole peanuts to begin with....I like peanut butter and peanut butter flavor.

Thank you KenK, this sounds like about the closest I've ever heard to what my grandma used to make. I don't think what she made had sugar in it and I know that we didn't "Serve with sweet sauce to taste such as custard, caramel or a sweetened fruit sauce." Thanks for the effort.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom