November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I am leaning towards Khaki Campbells due to their high egg production. I had two muscovys but they flew away before I could get their wings clipped. bummer. but this time, i will get ducklings so they get used to me :)

Khakis are nice! Welsh harlequins are actually just offshoots of them - the breed was developed by a farmer who had two 'off' colored khakis pop up in his flock. I think they're prettier. This is Dove, the mother of that egg I posted:

Last edited:
So I finally got to candle my dozen B&C Maran eggs last night, right around the 2 week point... My mom came over with her giant Maglight (that is like a foot long, needs 4D batteries and it heavy as all heck but is the strongest light I could think of). Three were definitely duds, and I think two more were also duds but my bf and mom were both squawking over how I could be wrong so I put them back. Three were definitely filled with chicks! I saw them moving and it was really cool. :3 I still could not make out a single vein on any of the eggs, though. The shells are just so crazy thick and dark. I hope things turn out right! Hatch is in about 1 week!

Partridge silikies sound amazing! Post pictures! If I didn't already have 3 out of 4 broody hens, I'd want some silkies.

So I finally got to candle my dozen B&C Maran eggs last night, right around the 2 week point... My mom came over with her giant Maglight (that is like a foot long, needs 4D batteries and it heavy as all heck but is the strongest light I could think of). Three were definitely duds, and I think two more were also duds but my bf and mom were both squawking over how I could be wrong so I put them back. Three were definitely filled with chicks! I saw them moving and it was really cool. :3 I still could not make out a single vein on any of the eggs, though. The shells are just so crazy thick and dark. I hope things turn out right! Hatch is in about 1 week!

fl.gif
pop.gif

I have a hen I couldnt find in about twoo weeks and I finally found her the other day sitting on about 15 eggs in our woods so maybe they should hatch pretty soon or around the first of september. My Hens and rooster are Black Australorpes.

The chicks that do hatch will go into the freezer. I dont want more birds but more eggs to eat so as soon as they get eating age ;(

I'm joining in I was in the Aug one 0-30 very upset got a new bator and joined the sept hatch a long 20-28 yeah very excited I thought I was done till spring and I got a phone call this morning from the local hatchery that the eggs I ordered were ready to be picked up. Oh **** I ordered eggs totally forgot so Tomorrow I will be setting 10 RIR crosses and some homegrown mixes!! Here we go again lol it's very addicting!! Good luck to all the fellow hatchers!! May your bators be full of fluffy butts!!

My hen moves her eggs around too. She's only on three, so that's not an issue with mine. But I'm sure if she had more shed rotate them as well.

Back
Top Bottom