November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

are you using 2 incubators? ducks need very different humidity

Nope :) I've done it this way before with no problems. During regular incubation I just keep the humidity between 30-35% in my homemade incubator it does the trick. I do lock them down in different incubators, though.

Does anyone hatch in egg cartons? How does it work out? Most of my eggs for this month are shipped and some of them have funny air cells and I want them to have the easiest time hatching as they can.

Is there any reason (other than curiosity) to keep candling when the eggs are under a broody, as opposed to an incubator? I don't think I'll ever really see inside the Marans, and I keep worrying I'm going to break or bother the eggs (not to mention the broodies).

Is there any reason (other than curiosity) to keep candling when the eggs are under a broody, as opposed to an incubator?  I don't think I'll ever really see inside the Marans, and I keep worrying I'm going to break or bother the eggs (not to mention the broodies).

The only reason besides curiosity would be to try to keep a bad egg from exploding under her. But usually they'll kick them from the nest if they're bad so that's not always a problem. I did have an egg explode under a silkie once though :sick

Likely they are fine
big_smile.png

We worry about all this stuff and forget to trust the hen
She will know after a bit if the eggs are not good.
I just candled my eggs, one is too dark and spotty to see thru the shell, the second one had some veining, but the third, I saw some movement!!!
wee.gif
Today is day 7

faverolle eggs....blk, blue and splash maran eggs and red boubon turkey eggs on the way to go in the incubator next week

a few guinea eggs are developing...my girls are all but done for the season...and a few of what I hope are my dark sex links eggs due starting the 10th

happy hatching
jumpy.gif

I'm so happy! My eggs arrived today :) sadly 4 were cracked beyond repair but I have 26 left that get to go in the bator!! They are texas a&m quail. The eggs are so small and cute!

Back
Top Bottom