November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

JUST SOME THINGS I THOUGHT BEST TO SHARE

The sex of an egg is pre determined my the female, prior to fertilization. Much as in humans where we think of female sex cells as x, x and male as x,y and the male determines the sex. except with chickens it is reversed as in female sex cells are z,x and the male are z,z.

Therefore unfortunately adding product, nor chemical or hormone will have any affect on the hatching sex. This also eliminates the chance of temp or humidity having any determining factors.

the below link has some very useful info, and i hope this helps

http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/theory.html#gen_theory_terms

Just did my Day 4 candle, and 3 of the 4 blue eggs are definitely growing chickies! The fourth isn't clear to me - it's got a blob, with an air cell, and it might have some veins, but it's not nearly as clear as the other 3. My other 4 eggs are Marans, and I just couldn't tell. They had some good-sized blobs, but I couldn't make out any veins. Any thoughts?
Only 17 days more to go!

Day ten candle for the first eggs and day six candle for the second batch. Day 16 and day day 10 for the ducks. Little Peanut is halfway through! So, on the day ten eggs, all three easter eggers are alive, both sex links are alive, and four faverolles are still alive with one iffy. On the day six eggs, five are definitely alive and the other two are iffy. Day 16 duckling, Peanut, is alive and well. Day 10 ducks - one quit, one alive. So so far I have 14 for sure chicks developing and two for sure ducks, as well as three iffy faverolles. Not bad for shipped eggs! I'm wondering how they would have done if the post office hadn't messed up so bad.

bought a new bulb for my candler.. 440 lumens!!!! i see babies bouncing.. those marans are still pretty hard to see but i can now see the air cells and i think a dot!! so better than nothing.and i can now see veining and dots bouncing in the EE eggs.. but it makes the creammy eggs minear transparant and i can see every thing in them... wondering about my silkie eggs now thou i ran a few of them over it and all im seeing is the yolk they should be day 3 now....so i should see something maybe another 24 hours will tell.

Hope it's not too late to join in, we just set 47 eggs. due 19th October.

The flat tray is our own barnyard mix, Lavender Araucana roo over; Araucana, Barnevelder, Black Australorp, Light Sussex and Rhode Island Red.

The other two trays we bought this morning from a breeder, picked up French Wheaten Marans, Welsummers, Blue/black/splash Australorps (open pen so who knows which colours) and Salmon Fav's.

More eggs than our 'bator can handle, so back to manual turning!

look forward to seeing everyone else's updates. Our last hatch-along was a hoot!

Hope it's not too late to join in, we just set 47 eggs. due 19th October.

The flat tray is our own barnyard mix, Lavender Araucana roo over; Araucana, Barnevelder, Black Australorp, Light Sussex and Rhode Island Red.

The other two trays we bought this morning from a breeder, picked up French Wheaten Marans, Welsummers, Blue/black/splash Australorps (open pen so who knows which colours) and Salmon Fav's.

More eggs than our 'bator can handle, so back to manual turning!

look forward to seeing everyone else's updates. Our last hatch-along was a hoot!

Welcome aboard
frow.gif

Just did my Day 4 candle, and 3 of the 4 blue eggs are definitely growing chickies! The fourth isn't clear to me - it's got a blob, with an air cell, and it might have some veins, but it's not nearly as clear as the other 3. My other 4 eggs are Marans, and I just couldn't tell. They had some good-sized blobs, but I couldn't make out any veins. Any thoughts?
Only 17 days more to go!

if you can't tell and it doesn't stink put it back
tongue.png

Day ten candle for the first eggs and day six candle for the second batch. Day 16 and day day 10 for the ducks. Little Peanut is halfway through! So, on the day ten eggs, all three easter eggers are alive, both sex links are alive, and four faverolles are still alive with one iffy. On the day six eggs, five are definitely alive and the other two are iffy. Day 16 duckling, Peanut, is alive and well. Day 10 ducks - one quit, one alive. So so far I have 14 for sure chicks developing and two for sure ducks, as well as three iffy faverolles. Not bad for shipped eggs! I'm wondering how they would have done if the post office hadn't messed up so bad.

unfortunately that's so typical of shipped eggs...good luck to hatch!
pop.gif

are you using 2 incubators? ducks need very different humidity

Back
Top Bottom