Nutrition makes a BIG difference!! - PICS ADDED 09/02

Quote:
LOL... this could be debated with many different views. My opinion is there is no damage as far as breeding.

However some might argue that if a particular breed is housed in Florida they may develop less of a "winter coat" than the same breed housed in Canada just because of the drastic differences in temperature. Therefore the argument might be that based on that theory they could start to "adapt" because of there environment effecting egg laying and physical size of the offspring.

My guess... they may need several generations of change to develop any significant effect on the offspring.

Quote:
LOL... this could be debated with many different views. My opinion is there is no damage as far as breeding.

However some might argue that if a particular breed is housed in Florida they may develop less of a "winter coat" than the same breed housed in Canada just because of the drastic differences in temperature. Therefore the argument might be that based on that theory they could start to "adapt" because of there environment effecting egg laying and physical size of the offspring.

My guess... they may need several generations of change to develop any significant effect on the offspring.

Here is the thing, they are -programed- for the same coats, but a "deficient coat" chicken in FL will live, a "deficient coat" chicken in Canada will freeze... so the flock in Canada has fewer and fewer "deficient coat" flock members and fewer of those get a chance to breed (natural selection against 'deficient coat').

Great post! I'm not sure why, but my brother's hens and mine are night and day different. They were bought from the same stock at the feed store (similar breeds) and fed the same food (starter then layer) with equal foraging access. Mine fattened up nicely, grew combs first and started laying between 4-5 months. My brothers just didn't seem as hungry as mine so are skinnier and to-date, haven't started laying. We're going on nine months with no production from his otherwise happy and content birds.

He is just as flabergasted as I am, but is resigned to wait it out. I'm sharing eggs at least. /shrug

Back
Top Bottom