NY chicken lover!!!!

I'm posting here before Craig's list:

For sale: dual purpose hens. 2 partridge rock hens 2 years old. Lay 5-6 times per week. 1 BCM/EE mix. 1 year old Proven excellent broody and raises chicks with no problems. Lays 4-5 eggs per week. $5.00 each. All healthy & fed fermented grains.

Trying to thin down my hens for winter. I live in Hamburg,NY, south of buffalo and will drive any hour to meet up with someone.
I'll give you 20 bucks for the e of them if us drive to kendall

Evening all. Got some much needed rain today. Work was work. Came home to cheeps demanding out. My hens were antzy to get out and stretch. They practically ran me over when I opened the door. Got a dozen eggs today. Tomorrow the boys will be chillin in the fridge as they are just out of control. I have had enough and so have the girls. Getting dark early these days. Not liking it.

Chickens can handle cold just fine. Ventilation is key. Water either has to be hauled or heated in the winter. There are plenty of cheap ways of heating it during the winter. I haul water twice a day when I am not home and more when I am. Only the big coops have water heaters in the.

Time to go lock up the littles!

I never heat for winter - and my coops are just sheds, essentially.. So far so good, even with leghorns and bantams. :)
The heated dog bowls keep the water melted- those are essential for me as I work all day.

I also plan on downsizing - anyone nearish saratoga/glens falls that may need chickens, let me know! :)

Hey there, I am a Upstate New Yorker up by fort drum. I have just started with the chickens.. We have 8 of them... I am looking for great ideas to how to keep them warm during the wonderful winter months. My girls are not laying yet, they are about 4 months old. Any advice on anything ?

Chickens live in unheated coops in Alaska.   Make your enclosure (coop) draft free on the area they roost and plenty of ventaliation to keep the ammonia from building up in any season.

My neighbor heats her tractor cuz her chickens are pets....I live 1000 feet away and don't heat anything....actually leave a window cracked and never shut the pop door across from it....both flocks survived the same winter...my power bill was about $50 a month less however.  (heat lamps pull a LOT of  power)

My hoop coop is the half round structure in the back of the picture this winter during our first blizzard. No heat. It's made from cattle panels and billboard cover on top. Has 2 roof rents on top and I put hay bales around the 3 sides to block the winds. Girls were toasty warm all winter. When the windchills got to -30 I did add hay to the floor of the coop for them. No frost bite and plenty of ventilation.

We will be there to do our shopping. We usually get there around 10-11..depending on how well everyone is up and going in the morning. 

I don't get done with work till 4:30, so tomorrow is out. I did clean the spare Eglu tonight, going to set it up on the floor near the nest boxes and see if she takes there. Then maybe I can catch up to you Friday or Saturday.

I have 5 Silver laced Cochin Bantam chicks that hatched a few days ago? Where do you live. (I'm near Syracuse)
just thought i would share. I am thinking this might be a bad idea, but i found a couple turkey poults. we put 2 of them in with her last night and she took to one of them right away. they other she didnt want anything to do with. she kept him warm all night.. but this morning he was in the other corner cheeping..

my dads always told me not to keep them together.. and I did some researching before I picked them up. i may just keep them with her till she is over the broodiness.. and not let her or them outside together. what do you think? i havent heard of anyone local having issues with blackhead. A farmer friend use to keep his chickens and turkeys in the same coop, but the were completely free range.

So the chicks are getting into the ugly dinosaur age:) I think I might have to move them to the coop.... They are in a 4x4 box but they just seem bird and want to run around.. Is it normal behavior to jump and pounce at each other? It is only August and it is getting down to the upper 40s lower 50s at night! I really don't want to have to hang a heat lamp in the coop!

Back
Top Bottom