observation of birds coming off roost?

I have seen the flighty stuff in response to dominant rooster chasing but most of what I seeing is that birds simply do not what to walk on snow. If you watch Sallie she is flying just above the ground and barely putting any effort into it. When flighty she would thunder up onto power lines in distance.

Well, none of them want to come out on the snow, but if they want fresh cracked corn they will do it
lol.png
Every time we get fresh snow up here (which is about every other day this year), they just stand in the door and look out. I found that throwing fresh straw every few days where they can get out and scratch and peck in it helps too. It breaks up the boredom for them. It is amazing how fast they can tear a bale apart too. In the spring we just rake it all up and put it in the compost, so it isn't a big deal, and since it is oat straw they find a few grains here and there as they scratch around. I haven't seen a lot of rooster shenanigans lately, they are too cold and the girls are laying again yet. I am sure once they decide it is time to lay again we will see some aggression again. I am looking to get rid of the dominant roo though just because he isn't the quality I want to keep. For the most part they all have their pecking order pretty well established.
They are are fun to watch no matter the time of year. I never knew how much I would love raising chickens.

I just remembered too, I have two little Buff Sebrights I hatched last spring. One day after we got a couple of inches of new snow, one of them flew about 20' and perched on a weed stalk that was sticking up out of the snow. I didn't realize she had gone over there until I did the double take to see something sitting there and realized who it was. I first thought it was a pigeon or something. Again, didn't want to walk in the snow. Either it was that or the big lughead Jersey Giants who always walk all over them - literally. The two little girls are in a cage in the garage now to keep from getting stepped on all the time.

Last edited:
I cheat in respect to getting birds out of coop or off roost. Food and water provided always some distance from roost / coop. They have to go to eat. Helps keep coop dry and varments attracted to feed from from going directly to sleeping birds. If snow deep, which is not very often, then fresh wheat straw is scattered on top around feeding station. Birds can see patch of brown and make their way straight to it. Those that can, fly.

Last edited:
Last night we got about 8 inches of snow closing campus so I can report the following observations. Snow depth of 6 inches and greater is a major impediment to my chickens walking ability so today walking difficult. The roost is located about 130 feet away from the nearest feeding station which also has the best protection from wind and hawks. The roosts are good protection from hawks but birds have not been willing to forgo feeding for more than a few hours into the day. Dave fluttered down from roost and began walking along front of house to find a snow free path. He found none and started to make long walk through snow to closest feeding station.

Dave traversed 25 feet before stopping and adopting the dumb chicken look.
41527_dave_in_deep_snow_2011_january_20.jpg

Sallie and Eduardo took alternative routes by air. As usual, Sallie took off first and flew towards feeding station with camera and myself hidden inside. At last moment Sallie veered away to land on Cackle Gang’ s roost to my left. Eduardo flew slower as if he hid not know how to proceed and ultimately landed in snow below Sallie’s position. Flight for both birds appears slower than usual, possibly because an unknown lump (me hiding in snow gear) was on their usual landing point. After landing both birds allowed me to pick them up and place them in feeding station. I cleared snow with my feet so they could have bare spot to stand on. Very likely they will stay in area during daylight hours over next few days owing to forage they can get with such a deep snow is in woods outside their usual foraging area.

Video of horrible but some components of Sallie's flight are apparent.

Tomorrow a tripod will be used and hopefully both birds will land on straw bale. So far my videos suck!

Last edited:
Another cool observation likely a function of the deep snow. Both Sallie and Eduardo flew from feeding station towards the roost. Sallie landed on pickup 30' shy of destination while Eduardo flew entire distance and almost crashed into roof over porch. This is first time I saw return flight. Dave walked.

Ha ha! Dave should come live with me in Florida...it was 64 degrees here today! He is a pretty bird.

I noticed mine trying to get off where they were roosting this morning. They are in an enclosed pen and have a very short landing path. The have to get from about six feet up and only have six or seven feet to do it in. Maybe I need to move where they roost to give them more room?
sharon

Back
Top Bottom