Congratulations! I can't wait for my Ameraucana to start laying. How many weeks old are yours?
We got them in early October as day old chicks so they are about 6 months old. We had a rough go with all the rain and they and our brahmas didn’t see to thrive for a bit. Maybe that lead to late maturity? Or maybe 6 months is normal? The egg sure is pretty though. Here are a few pictures from last month. They are much more skittish than our other chickens and would prefer to hang out with the goats. We call them the “goat chickens” when we as a family discuss them lol because they ended up moving into goat pen one day and wouldn’t leave for about 2 months. Then one day about a month ago they started hanging out with the rest of our crew.

Attachments

• 76D6B0C1-83AF-431E-8DA7-BBA7E2404EA9.jpeg
    76D6B0C1-83AF-431E-8DA7-BBA7E2404EA9.jpeg
    826.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 4626981A-F4E1-46A8-BCD2-6FEDC8D541FB.jpeg
    4626981A-F4E1-46A8-BCD2-6FEDC8D541FB.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BD837081-11C9-435F-86CB-F6C953D46D3A.jpeg
    BD837081-11C9-435F-86CB-F6C953D46D3A.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 17
I have a question on bloom, people always say on the green bloom, egg color, "Is the egg washed?" but as far as BCM eggs, I don't see any one asking if the egg was washed or scrubbed first, before color tested.

I have a question on bloom, people always say on the green bloom, egg color, "Is the egg washed?" but as far as BCM eggs, I don't see any one asking if the egg was washed or scrubbed first, before color tested.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I always want to see both the dry and wet colors for EVERY egg, even plain ol' tan ones! (Hence the wet stripe on my BCM egg above.)

This has been wonderful to read. Now I have successfully hatched and integrated my chicks the next thing is waiting for the eggs. As it's obviously winter and there is lots of rain and gloom in west coast Scotland I don't expect a thing till next spring, I believe CCL, and Marans take a little longer anyway. We also have a CCL/BCM cross. I'm looking forward to pretty eggs. My husband says they will be the most expensive eggs. :lau

That link seems to lead to an article that's no longer available, but still, wow! What an interesting resource. I typed "cuticle" and tons of information came up that might relate to blooms.

I'm sorry I've been away so long. Life got crazy and my ladies have been living with my ex. Hoping to have proper accomodations for them soon. I miss my chickens so much! No super heavy blooms these days, but the egg carton has some color anyway...
20190625_153205.jpg

Back
Top Bottom