Observations on Mottling and its many allelic mutations

I was also wondering this.
I asked the d’Anvers people what they looked like and instead of pictures they said “penguin.” I had no idea what penguin was.
Penguin is the kind of mottled look you'd see in a mottled Cochin chick, for example.

Question- what type of mottled allele do you think 55 Flowery hens might have? Here are some pics of chicks.
55-chick_orig.jpg
55_FLOWERY_HENS_chick.jpg
117526547_1339469796258224_5854994756550678473_n.jpg

And here's a video on facebook so you can see their full body coloration:

Last edited:
They almost look like the D'Uccle allele since mainly only their breasts are white. I noticed in my last batch of Icelandics I hatched that most of the mottled chicks only had white breasts/undersides as well, although there was one that had the standard mo allele mottled chick down pattern. Thoughts?

They almost look like the D'Uccle allele since mainly only their breasts are white. I noticed in my last batch of Icelandics I hatched that most of the mottled chicks only had white breasts/undersides as well, although there was one that had the standard mo allele mottled chick down pattern. Thoughts?
Mottling has little/no effect on wildtype or brown chick down, chances are that its regular European mottling found in houdan

here as some Speckled Sussex chicks and you can't see any mottling on the chick down

eb, wheaten and e+ will not display any mottling sign on the chick down only Extended Black and Birchen(in the case of Black Mottled D'uccle they often look like normal black chick down and have not mottling until they are a few weeks old)

Mottling has little/no effect on wildtype or brown chick down, chances are that its regular European mottling found in houdan

here as some Speckled Sussex chicks and you can't see any mottling on the chick down

eb, wheaten and e+ will not display any mottling sign on the chick down only Extended Black and Birchen(in the case of Black Mottled D'uccle they often look like normal black chick down and have not mottling until they are a few weeks old)
Ok that helps! The white chest/underside is coming from mottling though correct? I don't think Mo+, e+ has that?

So to revive this thread 😁...
I have mottled d'Anvers. Chicks look like this, lots of white.
LogoLicious_20210227_111454.jpg

When I breed them to blacks, I get two types of chicks, which will both grow into black chicks with a little bit of white leakage that all carry one copy of the mottled gene. One type is the stereotypical penguin with smaller cream white patches and a smoky black down (right) and one has more bright white and a dark jet black down (left). The penguins often have dark eyes and dark soles on their feet. The bright whites have light souls of their feet and slightly lighter eyes.
PXL_20210321_190650582.jpg

Very curious to see their progeny the spring. A quarter of the babies should be mottled, so I'm curious as to whether I will be able to figure out which chicks will be the mottled ones or not.

So to revive this thread 😁...
I have mottled d'Anvers. Chicks look like this, lots of white.
View attachment 2748224

When I breed them to blacks, I get two types of chicks, which will both grow into black chicks with a little bit of white leakage that all carry one copy of the mottled gene. One type is the stereotypical penguin with smaller cream white patches and a smoky black down (right) and one has more bright white and a dark jet black down (left). The penguins often have dark eyes and dark soles on their feet. The bright whites have light souls of their feet and slightly lighter eyes.
View attachment 2748225

Very curious to see their progeny the spring. A quarter of the babies should be mottled, so I'm curious as to whether I will be able to figure out which chicks will be the mottled ones or not.
Any updates?

Back
Top Bottom