occasional runny nose but otherwise healthy...

GoChick

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2010
My 18 week pullet is active, eats, is growing up fast. However, now and then she has a clear discharge from her nose, with a distinctive smell.
I had her tested and she does not have coryza. Her swab came negative. she is the only one on the flock that has this, and is not constant, sometime she goes for a week with dry nose, then it shows again. otherwise, she's a cute healthy bird.

I wonder if it could be some issues related to the pine shavings I'm using? Has anyone ever encountered this?

I'm puzzled and separated her from the flock, she's with a flockmate now for a month, and her mate has not shown any signs, so whatever it is doesn't appear to be contagious...
I'm struggling with whether or not to let her and her buddy join the flock...

any ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
Where did you have her tested, and were you given any advice about the discharge? I don't have any experience with this, so I can only guess. I would think clear discharge isn't as bad a sign as a thick yellowish looking one, which would make me think some type of infection. You mention a distinctive smell, which could be a sign of infection, sinus perhaps? Was the smell an offensive odor?

When she has the discharge, then it is an offensive smell. That's why I worried it could be Coryza and had her tested by the state vet. I also had the state do a fecal exam. Both came negative. I did not have the state test for MG or MS because if positive, it would mean having to cull my entire flock.
but I don't think it is MS or MG, because it goes away without antibiotics. And then it comes back...
For example, last night she had a little discharge. I used Oxine in a nebulizer today, and the discharge is gone. I wonder if it could be fungal??

If it were contagious, I guess her "buddy", who's with her this whole time, would have caught it?

I dont want to cull her if it is something that's not contagious. I don't plan to breed her either, but she's a sweetie.

Back
Top Bottom