I have him in a dog crate for a day until I have a wooden box for him. Here are some photos of him. Is he a light Sussex?
IMAG0093.jpg
IMAG0092.jpg
IMAG0091.jpg

I see yellow tones so I believe he is impure for silver. I also believe I can see some mahogany in the tail. I'd guess he will turn out somewhat like mine eventually.

His body shape is wide like a Sussex and he will bulk out a bit, but he lacks depth; his keel bone ought to be lower for good dual-purpose type. He may produce good layers, but some will lack the meat qualities of the true Sussex.

You can absolutely keep him in your second coop as long as it has a shelter for him to get out of the wind and rain/snow. And you can keep the other hens with him if there is enough room. But honestly, I don't think you need to move him at all. It's normal for older hens or pullets to beat up on cockerels. If he is not being bloodied and can get enough food and water, I would just leave him. His hormones will kick in eventually, and sooner or later challenge those hens or pullets so they will mate with him. If he doesn't do that, he is probably not worth breeding anyway.

As far as breed goes, he looks like a hatchery quality Light Sussex to me, but he could be a mix. If he has any red or mahogany in his plumage, he is probably impure for silver, meaning he has some gold in his genetics, which means his offspring could be variable in color. If you are looking to breed showbirds, he is not a good choice, but he will probably breed good layers.

My hens aren't laying ATM but they are the right age. I think it's because of my dog but my dog doesn't go near them since like last week. My hens are all on layer feed with crushed outer shell free choice. But I will buy a bag of grower feed tomorrow for the rooster. Thanks for your help you have been really helpful

If he adjusts quickly he could. Otherwise just let him run away if you aren't interested in separating him temporarily. As long as he isn't being bullied and corner it will work out. Did you remove your original rooster too? Or am I reading that wrong and you only have this rooster?

Generally when you bring in New poultry, especially older ones from swaps and sales you should quarantine them away from your original birds. Sounds like you tried to just add the male? Where are the hens he came with?
I originally had 6 hens but today I bought 3 extra hens. The rooster I bought separate from a different person. My six original hens I've only had for 4 weeks. This is my first rooster. I just added him and the 3 new hens to the flock when I got home

I see yellow tones so I believe he is impure for silver. I also believe I can see some mahogany in the tail. I'd guess he will turn out somewhat like mine eventually.

His body shape is wide like a Sussex and he will bulk out a bit, but he lacks depth; his keel bone ought to be lower for good dual-purpose type. He may produce good layers, but some will lack the meat qualities of the true Sussex.

If I breed him will the chicks be light Sussex? What's an impure for silver? Is it to much trouble to keep him away from the rest of the flock till he matures? Can I keep my 3 new hens in with him once I build a big wooden box? I have a second coop and it's 4.5 foot by 4 foot. It's right beside my coop that's in use. Can I keep him in their instead of building a big wooden box? Or will it be no use since there is only a wall between them?

You can absolutely keep him in your second coop as long as it has a shelter for him to get out of the wind and rain/snow. And you can keep the other hens with him if there is enough room. But honestly, I don't think you need to move him at all. It's normal for older hens or pullets to beat up on cockerels. If he is not being bloodied and can get enough food and water, I would just leave him. His hormones will kick in eventually, and sooner or later challenge those hens or pullets so they will mate with him. If he doesn't do that, he is probably not worth breeding anyway.

As far as breed goes, he looks like a hatchery quality Light Sussex to me, but he could be a mix. If he has any red or mahogany in his plumage, he is probably impure for silver, meaning he has some gold in his genetics, which means his offspring could be variable in color. If you are looking to breed showbirds, he is not a good choice, but he will probably breed good layers.
Do I need to feed him grower feed? And

Back
Top Bottom