OEGB - broodiness, personality, egg-laying, maturity?

Pics

TopazMaster91

Songster
Oct 21, 2019
Lakeland, FL
I have (among other bantams and LF) a self-blue OEGB girl who is roughly 15 weeks old, and after scouring these forums for information, I've finally given in and created this thread specifically to ask OEGB keepers for some information:

Roughly when do the pullets mature and start laying eggs?

When does the tail fill out, and "adult" feathering come in completely?

How are their personalities, contrasted between before/after maturity?

How well do they interact with other breeds, both bantam and LF?

How "talkative" are the pullets/hens?

How interactive/affectionate are they with their humans?

Where do they tend to stand in the pecking order, complacent or aggressive?

What are some common problems/health issues with this breed?

How can you tell if your Self-Blue OEGB has poor quality feathering (genetics)?

Just HOW broody can OEGBs really be?! Often, on occasion, seldom? Random?

I don't know how the Self-Blue variety may or may not vary from other varieties of OEGB (aside from coloring), but anything anyone can tell me, I am happy to listen! Aside from this, any other information, pictures, stories, are welcome! I'm more than happy to chat about this intriguing breed, and bantams in general!

Thanks,
- David :)

Last edited:
I am new to OEGB so I will be watching this thread. I don't know much, but I have noticed that my OEGB pullet is higher in pecking order than at least one silkie pullet, despite her teensy tinesy size. Hope that helps!

Hey, any info is good! Thanks for responding :)
I've noticed my OEGB girl stands up to the little Japanese bantam cockerel; sometimes he'll flare his hackle feathers and challenge the other bantams, and she just stands up tall, hops around, chest bumps, and pecks him! It cracks me up every time, she literally hops around like a boxer XD! We named her Gracie, because all of her movements are just really graceful compared to the other bantams, lol.

I have a question for you, @TopazMaster91. Judging from your last post I would guess not, but do you feel like your OEGBs are more frail than your other chickens? It might just be me babying her, but I feel like she shivers and seems to be more affected by the cold.

I live in central Florida, it doesn't often get very cold here (it's 46 F right now, for example), but I have noticed her puff up a bit with her feathers when it's below 50-60 and the wind is blowing; aside from that, she seems absolutely fine :).
In Florida, the winter months are kind of a battle between warmth and cold fronts, it rarely goes below 40 degrees, and even if it does, it's only at night for less than a week usually.
I do take steps to prevent drafts in their home at night, but they do cuddle together on the roost and warm each other.
I don't know how cold it gets where you are, we don't even get snow here, but she tolerated 38 degrees last night just fine, and it was a bit windy!

I live in central Florida, it doesn't often get very cold here (it's 46 F right now, for example), but I have noticed her puff up a bit with her feathers when it's below 50-60 and the wind is blowing; aside from that, she seems absolutely fine :).
In Florida, the winter months are kind of a battle between warmth and cold fronts, it rarely goes below 40 degrees, and even if it does, it's only at night for less than a week usually.
I do take steps to prevent drafts in their home at night, but they do cuddle together on the roost and warm each other.
I don't know how cold it gets where you are, we don't even get snow here, but she tolerated 38 degrees last night just fine, and it was a bit windy!
Okay, thanks! I know, I worry a lot about my chickies;)

Okay, thanks! I know, I worry a lot about my chickies;)
No worries, I get it, I worry about mine when it's 90+ degrees and humid beyond what should be possible!
My OEGB definitely does not have as much fluff as my other chickens, more like hard feathering with a bit of down underneath, so if you live somewhere where it goes below freezing with wind, snow, ice, etc, I would draft-proof your coop as much as possible, and only if absolutely necessary, provide some kind of heat source as long as it doesn't ramp up the humidity and thus increase the risk of frostbite on your chickens. I don't know much about cold-proofing because, well Florida lol, but I've read at least a little about it.
HEAT is the killer where I live!

No worries, I get it, I worry about mine when it's 90+ degrees and humid beyond what should be possible!
My OEGB definitely does not have as much fluff as my other chickens, more like hard feathering with a bit of down underneath, so if you live somewhere where it goes below freezing with wind, snow, ice, etc, I would draft-proof your coop as much as possible, and only if absolutely necessary, provide some kind of heat source as long as it doesn't ramp up the humidity and thus increase the risk of frostbite on your chickens. I don't know much about cold-proofing because, well Florida lol, but I've read at least a little about it.
HEAT is the killer where I live!
Thanks for the advice! Heat is pretty bad here too. I hope you can get more replies to this thread.

If anyone else sees this thread, I have another question I've wanted answered for awhile, but I cannot find the information online anywhere for some reason- What breeds were used to make the bantam version of Old English Game?
I assume it's not simply a miniature copy of the larger, SOME genetics MUST have come from other breeds to produce OEGBs, correct? Anyone who can answer this (and my other questions), will have my eternal gratitude! :)

Back
Top Bottom