OEGB - broodiness, personality, egg-laying, maturity?

If anyone else sees this thread, I have another question I've wanted answered for awhile, but I cannot find the information online anywhere for some reason- What breeds were used to make the bantam version of Old English Game?
I assume it's not simply a miniature copy of the larger, SOME genetics MUST have come from other breeds to produce OEGBs, correct? Anyone who can answer this (and my other questions), will have my eternal gratitude! :)
Me again!:frow
I heard that they are one of the most closely related breeds to the red jungle fowl, but that may or may not be true.

Me again!:frow
I heard that they are one of the most closely related breeds to the red jungle fowl, but that may or may not be true.

I've read something similar, but they didn't differentiate between regular sized OEG and OEGB, so I don't know if they meant whether one or the other, or both are closely related to the red jungle fowl >___<

Aside from that, I know that many bantam versions of large fowl aren't necessarily composed of the same breeds as their larger counterpart, so it gets confusing trying to find information on how some breeds or bantam versions of breeds were created!

I've read something similar, but they didn't differentiate between regular sized OEG and OEGB, so I don't know if they meant whether one or the other, or both are closely related to the red jungle fowl >___<

Aside from that, I know that many bantam versions of large fowl aren't necessarily composed of the same breeds as their larger counterpart, so it gets confusing trying to find information on how some breeds or bantam versions of breeds were created!
Too true!

Just for anyone who cares to know;
My Self-Blue OEGB, Gracie, started laying eggs only about a month ago, and yet just today already decided to go broody! Hahahahaha :D.
Congratulations! I don't know if you actually want a broody, but I do, so congrats! (I'm currently in the clutches of hatching fever:lau)

Information about how they were developed:
http://www.bungalowbirds.com/old-english-game-bantam.html
We originally got 2 OEGBs from a breeder as pullets. We loved them so much that we went back to get 2 more. 2 have since died sadly. 3 out of the 4 have been very broody, going broody at least twice each summer. All 3 hatched out chicks for us. Our 2 remaining girls are more skittish than the 2 we lost, but they don't let anyone push them around. Our wheaten girl will even mount our larger Wyandotte bantams and act like a rooster! They are bold and plucky, that's for sure. I think ours started to lay at 5-6 months old but it's been 6 years since we got them that I really can't remember.

They are brilliant at sitting, hatching and caring for chicks. They are my favourite breed of chicken, though I'd love to have some Modern Game Bantams too.

We originally got 2 OEGBs from a breeder as pullets. We loved them so much that we went back to get 2 more. 2 have since died sadly. 3 out of the 4 have been very broody, going broody at least twice each summer. All 3 hatched out chicks for us. Our 2 remaining girls are more skittish than the 2 we lost, but they don't let anyone push them around. Our wheaten girl will even mount our larger Wyandotte bantams and act like a rooster! They are bold and plucky, that's for sure. I think ours started to lay at 5-6 months old but it's been 6 years since we got them that I really can't remember.

They are brilliant at sitting, hatching and caring for chicks. They are my favourite breed of chicken, though I'd love to have some Modern Game Bantams too.
A Wyandotte bantam! What a plucky little chicken!

A week ago I realized my OEGB started laying and has been hiding her nest from me for 2-3 weeks. Strangly, after I found her nest and took the eggs she started laying in the nesting boxes like a good girl. She knows when a battle is lost! By the way, how good of layers are they?

Congratulations! I don't know if you actually want a broody, but I do, so congrats! (I'm currently in the clutches of hatching fever:lau)

Oh yes, now that we have plenty of space (we built a large coop and run, finally finished it a few months ago) I see no reason to not let her hatch out a chick or three!
Besides, it's cruel to kick them off their nests and break them out of their broodiness, amIright? :p

If she does manage to hatch out her eggs, we'll have a neat crossbreed of OEGB x Japanese bantam :D

My OEGB girl is very nice, totally unafraid of humans, not skittish at all; she's also a great forager, though it makes me nervous when she wanders off on her own, which she does often, haha.
If I hold the treat cup up to my arm, she flies onto my arm and sits there, every time! I love this breed.

Back
Top Bottom