OEGB - broodiness, personality, egg-laying, maturity?

I stopped getting alerts for this thread. Congrats, @TopazMaster91! Welcome to the world chicks! Crazy that the polish egg hatched, but I'm glad it did. I have heard of people who successfully let hens raise chicks in the coop right with the other hens. My friend has done that, though her broody's chick is only a few days old. By the way, my friend got the eggs from me and I think the chick is a polish-game bantam mix!

Great news, my silkie mama Skye went broody for the second time! I am expecting silkie-game bantam mixes and maybe some pure silkies! Their hatch date is the 26th. She has ten eggs.

I stopped getting alerts for this thread. Congrats, @TopazMaster91! Welcome to the world chicks! Crazy that the polish egg hatched, but I'm glad it did. I have heard of people who successfully let hens raise chicks in the coop right with the other hens. My friend has done that, though her broody's chick is only a few days old. By the way, my friend got the eggs from me and I think the chick is a polish-game bantam mix!

Great news, my silkie mama Skye went broody for the second time! I am expecting silkie-game bantam mixes and maybe some pure silkies! Their hatch date is the 26th. She has ten eggs.
Oh, I had wondered where you went off to! :p
I know right, the Polish one is the one I never expected to hatch, lol!
I guess Taichi did a good job and finally got it right with PomPom, my Polish X).
The baby is so cute, so far the feathers growing on it are snow white :D.
The cage in the run is just temporary until the chick is a bit bigger, hopefully it'll help everyone get used to the baby and not freak out, haha.
Gracie girl is doing well too, her chicks are growing so fast!

Oh wow, I would love to see a mix like that, I love unique, strange, unlikely crosses!

Here are some pictures of Skye's first chicks. I only found the time to taking pictures of them. I think they are about 2 months old, but I can't remember exactly.

Heather is the pullet and Picket is the cockerel. They are either half siblings or whole siblings. Great buddies! Their dad is a spangled OEGB and their mom (or moms) is a buff silkie. I previously hatched several chicks that has the same coloring that Heather and Picket had as chicks. I guessed they were the same mix, but I didn't keep them long enough to be sure. I would love to experiment more with this cross if I had more space!

Heather and Picket 2.jpg Heather and Picket.jpg Heather.jpg

So many posts on this thread! I’m just going to jump in- my OEGB is just over a year and on her second set of babies. The first brood, I have her buff orps to raise, second set was her own five babies after I removed 13 eggs. Too many for her to set on. A predator got all five babies so I have her Cochin chicks a week younger than hers were- she’s a great mama and nobody messes with her babies! My Lil Roo stays close too .

Attachments

• 3B90B037-AE96-44AE-9BDC-74489133ADB8.jpeg
    3B90B037-AE96-44AE-9BDC-74489133ADB8.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 7
  • 57FF1986-CA18-4F1E-8DF7-DEAC20366356.jpeg
    57FF1986-CA18-4F1E-8DF7-DEAC20366356.jpeg
    902.5 KB · Views: 7
So many posts on this thread! I’m just going to jump in- my OEGB is just over a year and on her second set of babies. The first brood, I have her buff orps to raise, second set was her own five babies after I removed 13 eggs. Too many for her to set on. A predator got all five babies so I have her Cochin chicks a week younger than hers were- she’s a great mama and nobody messes with her babies! My Lil Roo stays close too .
I'm sorry you lost some chicks.:hugs
Your mama and chicks are adorable!:love

Awhh they're totally adorable! Watching a bantam raise chicks is just too cute!

Here are some pictures of Skye's first chicks. I only found the time to taking pictures of them. I think they are about 2 months old, but I can't remember exactly.

Heather is the pullet and Picket is the cockerel. They are either half siblings or whole siblings. Great buddies! Their dad is a spangled OEGB and their mom (or moms) is a buff silkie. I previously hatched several chicks that has the same coloring that Heather and Picket had as chicks. I guessed they were the same mix, but I didn't keep them long enough to be sure. I would love to experiment more with this cross if I had more space!

View attachment 2235761View attachment 2235762View attachment 2235763
Those look so cute, I love how crossbreeds turn out looking sometimes!
I've noticed that Silkie crosses always end up super unique looking :p.
I'm really excited to see how all my crossbreeds grow up,
I finally found day one pics of the chick from the Polish egg that hatched,
gonna upload it soon!
All in all, the chicks being raised here are:
Gracie momma:
[OEGB x JapaneseBantam], [BantamCochin x JapaneseBantam] (x2)
Yuki momma:
[LF Polish x JapaneseBantam]

Last edited:
Here are pics of Snowy, from the Polish egg that surprisingly hatched!
I've been having trouble moving photos to my computer,
but here are a few, finally!
These are pics from Snowy's first day of life, Snowy looks much the same now,
only a bit bigger and with pure white wing and tail feathers coming in :)
I love her(hopefully her!) fluffy cheeks!
Snowy is a Buff laced Polish x Black tailed Buff Japanese Bantam cross.
Snowy seems to have inherited our Polish's beard and muffs, a bit of head fluff, the wide nostrils, and inherited our Japanese Bantam's short little beak and upright tail :p Gotta love chubby cheeks!

20200703_172657.jpg

20200703_172715.jpg

20200703_172725.jpg

20200703_172736.jpg

20200703_172740.jpg

Last edited:
Here are pics of Snowy, from the Polish egg that surprisingly hatched!
I've been having trouble moving photos to my computer,
but here are a few, finally!
These are pics from Snowy's first day of life, Snowy looks much the same now,
only a bit bigger and with pure white wing and tail feathers coming in :)
I love her(hopefully her!) fluffy cheeks!
Snowy is a Buff laced Polish x Black tailed Buff Japanese Bantam cross.
Snowy seems to have inherited our Polish's beard and muffs, a bit of head fluff, the wide nostrils, and inherited our Japanese Bantam's short little beak and upright tail :p Gotta love chubby cheeks!

View attachment 2238287
View attachment 2238381
View attachment 2238289
View attachment 2238291
View attachment 2238292
:loveThat's gotta be one of the cutest chicks I've ever seen!

Back
Top Bottom