• Invest in New Technology

Votes: 29 10.0%
  • Increase Chicken Treats

Votes: 31 10.7%
  • Purchase/add more Chicken Toys

Votes: 46 15.8%
  • Get More Chicks/Chickens

Votes: 165 56.7%
  • Add other poultry in addition to chickens (ducks, turkey etc.)

Votes: 65 22.3%
  • Reduce Feed Costs

Votes: 51 17.5%
  • Add a New Breed/s To My Flock

Votes: 124 42.6%
  • Reduce Flock Number

Votes: 25 8.6%
  • Nothing, will keep things as is

Votes: 25 8.6%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • Participate in a Hatch-A-Long

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Build NEW Coop and/or Run

Votes: 38 13.1%
  • Buy a New Coop and/or Run

Votes: 14 4.8%

• Total voters
Well...I had the plan to build a coop and fence in our area for future chicken purchases (I was hoping for Cochin bantams in 2022). It looks like I will be purchasing a coop as soon as I can afford to. Needless to say, no new chicks this year, just a coop.

Then we went into our local TSC last night in which our best friend works, (we also live in the same property in a different house) in which we are unfortunately known as “The Chicken People”. Almost as soon as we stepped in, the assistant manager fetched us a box of chicks that were abandoned by a customer.

These silkie bantam chicks (and one mystery chick that we’re sure isn’t going to last the day), in which were horrible shape, went home with us.

Now it’s, “in which two witches went home with chicks”.

😩

Edit: I also forgot to add that half the flock are being culled. Most of them are well long past living (production breeds) and it’s beginning to show. We also have a bit too many Muscovy that were supposed to be dinner last year. 2020 was super hard on all of us. But! They have had a happy life and that’s what’s important.

Last edited:
How about all you’re plans ? Any progress?

This was/is my plan:
I want to buy fertilised eggs as soon as I get a broody Dutch in march or april. This should be easy peasy bc they are very reliable mothers.

I like to add a friendly and small bantam breed that is laying eggs in winter too. I have been doing some research on the breed that I prefer to add to my flock. If I can get hold on bantam Red Island Red fertilised eggs I give that breed a chance to extend my flock a little.

There is room for 2 or 3 hens. One cockerel can stay until he gets too loud in the morning (next spring).
If I get more chicks, I will sell the pullets and give the cockerels away for free.
And Yes!!! 👍. I found a breeder ‘around the corner’ with bantam Rhode Island Reds.
Actually at the other side of the river. So close I can collect them on my bike 🚴 .

He is offering me 10 eggs in april for 50ct each because for him its not about making a profit. Just for fun and he like to go to shows with his finest bantam RIR. Great guy! He told me a lot about his hobby and his favourite breed (social roosters, curious and tame). :happy:

It's hard to believe another year is passing. As the popular old saying goes, “There’s always next year.” Flock management, forage, infrastructure? Identifying areas in need of improvement is always a must in most areas of life. And the same goes when it comes to your backyard flock. As 2020 bids us goodbye, what are your plans for 2021 when it comes to your beloved backyard flock?

View attachment 2453419

Here's another exciting 2021 Resolutions Poll.

(Then check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I am getting goats! Look at my profile for more info.

Well, my plans have changed. I decided to split my flock in two, one for the big chickens and one for the bantams. I'm going to get a few more bantams soon!
Bantams reproduce well.. Roosters sometimes live up to their reputation.. but hens don't seem to hold up well.. Could be because I run a mixed breed flock.. Bantams to Black Jersey Giants.. Jersey haven't been the problem, it's the run of the mill gang.. Mamma Bantam gets all puffed up with attitude to match when brooding.. The others buried Big Mamma Bantam under the woodchips.. I suspect a coverup.. a daughter still survives, one escape artist ran away after I tackled her a few times. Pretty sure she ended up as dinner, as the 'neighbors' raise fighting cocks across the dirt road... She just had to go there... as do three of her sons. Daddy has the attitude but his sons put him in his place when he comes after me.. He is now docile, Black Jersey Giant rooster is now present.. GIANT! Was going to build a separate run for them in the woods.. but predator and so forth and a bit further from the house.. Supper sized and even possibly incorporate some turkey.. but that hasn't happened. Makes noticing a defensive posture may be required too go unawares, but within range. My current run is in a long abandoned dog pen along side the house.. If I get anymore serious about this food production, I may need change my moniker from Chicken Man to Ole' McDonald's Farm.

Predator proofing can include fencing buried at minimum one foot in the ground to discourage diggers. Dependent on your vermin.. or lay fencing horizontal around the run and coop out eighteen inches or further.. The bigger the bugger, the further out.. and netting or wire cover of course for raptors.. Small egg stealers, chipmunks too snakes takes traps that your chickens can not access.. Set inside tubing along perimeter is an idea.. inside the coop or run if you can secure them from movement.. Just some ideas.

It's hard to believe another year is passing. As the popular old saying goes, “There’s always next year.” Flock management, forage, infrastructure? Identifying areas in need of improvement is always a must in most areas of life. And the same goes when it comes to your backyard flock. As 2020 bids us goodbye, what are your plans for 2021 when it comes to your beloved backyard flock?

View attachment 2453419

Here's another exciting 2021 Resolutions Poll.

(Then check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
This year I have dedicated some raised beds for the chickens - blue kale, dinosaur kale, cucumbers, chickweed, etc.

Back
Top Bottom