Oh, My Husband...

@GLBRWyans - I use Oxine AH in the water now (and can be used to disinfect - but I just got it and haven't used it to it's full benefit yet) and have never used ACV. The only place around here with the organic ACV sells it for $18 a gallon. That's outrageous.

$18 per gallon
th.gif
ep.gif
that is robbery . The Oxine AH is what I have been using , then I switched to Novalsan and they can drink small amounts of it also . My best chickemation is to alternate the two , so that one doesn't become less effective over time . How did you like my new word (chickemation) = guesstamation
lau.gif
Yes I have gone to the chickens not the dogs .
gig.gif

$18 --- must have gold in it .

Quote:
lau.gif
I am definately threatening my Husband with this one. I love it!!!!
gig.gif

I can't stew mine. He's all old, tough and stringy with very little meat on his bones.
Rehoming keeps me out of jail.
wink.png

Sounds like a dominance challenge. Hold him on the ground until he submits, then carry him around under your arm
tongue.png

But seriously, it does sound like he was trying to please you, and screwed it up. Not to mention that it sounds like he's a big ol softy. It's hard to look at debeaked hens in bad conditions and turn your back on them. You're lucky to have a man with a big heart.

Things are tight now, but it looks like you have it under control. Enjoy all the big delicious eggs you'll be getting. Red SLs take laying seriously!! I love mine to peices, even if they arn't fancy and expensive.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Xlots

Your husband's a softie, be happy! Mine is too, but has already given me advance notice that I am NOT to increase my flock. At the moment I do not have a rooster, but I am considering adopting one who may or may not just "appear"
hide.gif
in my yard...ahem.

Good luck with your plan. Would your school friend volunteer to help you with your carpentry in exchange for your husband's help at the auction?
frow.gif

haha interesting post... so you get very busy but at least you get to spend time on your chickens... i'm the chicken enthusiast and man of the house around here.... although i don't rule the roost... my wifey's "high strung" so naturally i am sorta lower in the pecking order...anyways long story short... last summer i got some day old chicks (with permission...)and got chewed out... after the kids are asleep at night i try to do my nightly chicken maintenance.... i get chewed for that... because my "priorities.... timing is so messed up".... i used to leave a small scrap container on the counter for leftovers and scraps for the chickens (which i took out to chicken daily).... got chewed a few times for "letting it sit there and stinking up the house"... so then i started emptying the scrap container to the chickens more frequently like after every meal etc... eventually there is no more scrap container because it still wasn't 'efficient' enough so instead of saving scraps up i just throw it out to the chickens whenever the need arises...... am i in the clear yet?? heck no! i still get chewed out because according to wifey "you rather feed your darn chickens first before feeding your own kids...." .... the chicken pen is 10 steps away right outside the kitchen door and we just finished eating dinner so wifey was finishing up feeding the kids while i stepped outside to let the chickens 'clean' my plate of rice.... chickens are close to laying and really need that coop to materialize soon... but i am already getting chewed out for even planning it out... i have more than supported her in all her endeavors... all my manly tools and "junk" are in a tiny storage closet and every room in the house is basically her closet...but that's another story for another time.... long story short... i got the chickens in the first place because i thought it would be a nice 'surprise' for wifey...and kids... because our family loves eating fresh eggs ...lots of eggs... so what better way to help wifey save a trip to the grocery store for eggs when she can just take 10 steps outside our backyard and fetch freshly laid eggs... so yes...sometimes hushbands (and myself) don't think too far ahead and plan every freakin detail but the big picture is still all about making others around him happy
th.gif
wink.png
...so i can relate to your situation haha i know sometimes wifey wants to trade me in too (good luck finding a guy who actually does things around the house like the dishes...laundry... home repairs... has some carpentry skills... don't mind the inlaws... enjoys spending time with kids and etc...) as much as i like chicken rearing... for me its still people first and chickens second
smile.png

LOL... I don't get women who expect so much out of their man and give so little. I'm not perfect, but the only real issue I have with my husband is his need to own a motorcycle. He rides it 2-3 months a year and it costs us over $450 in insurance and God knows what in maintaining it. It's not cost effective to save a whole 15 miles per gallon for him to go back and forth to work. Honestly, it only saves us about 15-20 gallon of gas the entire year. Wow, $70 in "savings".

For the record - HE wanted the chickens. But, like everything else, he lost interest quickly and they became my problem. Not that they are a "problem" because I have gone to all extremes on these chickens. With the breed choices, the breeding stock, names, the coops/building and even right down to shopping for them. He still occasionally helps with feeding and watering, but all he really cares about is collecting those eggs everyday. I honestly treat them like my kids. My cockerels are just like juvenile delinquents and get their butts kicked when needed and the girls are pampered and loved. I like shopping for them more than I like shopping for myself. My husband doesn't really complain about the chickens until I bring up the bike. Then I remind him he started it all and I make sure he is reminded of all the other items he wanted and then quickly lost interest in. Yes. He is a child. A 44yr old child.

See, you guys see him as a softy, but it all goes back to him being an overgrown child. He saw it, wanted it, thought it'd be okay and when he got home I told him what we now had to do to house these new birds. I could see the lack of interest and "I did something good" look drain off his face. At that moment, he all but said it was up to me to figure out and deal with. I did too, lol!

Sadly, the school friend is very busy and I am not sure his carpentry skills are better than my husband's. He pays my husband well to work for him, so in the end, he does help. He pays for my lumber. I've already bought lumber and tools from him at very low prices.

@Wynette - the Organic ACV is $18 a gallon, not the Oxine. I paid $24 (with shipping) for a quart of Oxine.

I need to go plan a new coop. Or decide if buying one that needs assembly is cheaper...

Quote:
Yip I'm so gonna stew my DH. Okay don't laugh but her goes. Well after a long night helping out with newborn dileveries down south. I came home and went to bed. Well I get up at 6 am this morning did not turn on the light and sit down on the toilet and jumped up screaming like a maniac. I had fallen in the toilet cuz DH left the toilet sit up.

Back
Top Bottom