Oh NO Niece found a baby deer and brought it home!!

I think it is great that BYC has so many folks that want to help animals and that care about helping this bitty deer!
thumbsup.gif
Just a wonderful group!

(Now if we could just get some people that are interested in rehabilitating those among us (yours truly included, of course!) that are addicted to chickens...A Farm life Rehabilitation Council license for rehabbing chicken addicts.)

The OP has a couple of options in front of her now. It might be best for her to do her own research and make the decision that she feels comfortable with as far as feeding.

If anyone has any helpful, informative or instructional links they could post that would help the OP, that would be great.

I am not a wildlife biologist or animal rescue expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

...want my opinion?
bun.gif

(sorry, this thread is screaming for a little levity).

I know that is illegal to posess a deer in MS without a license. I also know that the mother will NOT take it back since it has been touched. THe doe leaves the baby in a safe place while she eats and drinks then goes back to the baby. If the baby is gone she will automatically assume it has been eaten or something to that affect.

Quote:
Also fawns are odorless(for their protection). their will not accept it back now that it has been touched.

ETA
"The doe stays away from the fawn only returning for nursing. This prevents the deer's scent from being detected by predators and giving away the location of a fawn. If you encounter a fawn in the wild, please do not handle it. The doe is surely nearby. Often a doe will abandon a fawn if human odor is present on the fawn."

Last edited:
I have WHAT in my yard? :

It looks to be about a week or so old. It doesn't seem to have any fight to it at all. It is supposed to be freezing tonight.

She knows where it came from - will the mom take it if she returns it? Or is the damage already done?

No one is open! I called forestry conservation and wildlife and the county extension office all closed!

DO NOT PUT IT BACK!!!! I used to have a deer farm and the moms will not take the babies back after a few hours. And since the Doe is wild she will smell the human and could even possible try to kill the fawn.​

I was a Zookeeper (mammal department for a major Zoo) for 15+ yrs, & am also a Vet Tech. Have raised multiple white tail deer fawns (plus many other animals!!!).

Unfortunately people think fawns are "abandoned" all the time, and 99% of the time, they are *NOT*, Mom is nearby. But what's done is done, and I don't know if she will come back or not, altho often they do. Depends on how long baby has been gone, and how maternal/experienced a Mom she is.

Does baby still have dried umbilical cord on it? May only be a couple days old. Fawns are usually pretty passive about being handled when they are very young, so the "no fight in it" does not nesc. mean a health problem or weakness.

As far as diet goes, my advice is let the pros figure out what formula they want to use. Are several options that WORK, but some are DEFINITELY more optimal (!!) Also, feeding method may depend on if it is to be re-released into the wild, or kept in captivity with humans. They also absolutely *SHOULD* be stimulated to "potty" when they are very young.

Is there an emergency 24 hr veterinary clinic in your area that you can call? They may be familiar with local wildlife rehab center's protocol, or even be able to house it overnight & turn it over to rehab. At the VERY LEAST they should be able to advise you on what to do, feed, etc., for tonight. (!!!!!)

Sorry not more specific, but I hesitate because I am not there to see/evaluate it.
sad.png

Edited to add: oop, just saw that original post was HOURS ago, so my advice is probably a moot point/too late.
sad.png
sorry!! please DO let us know what happens with the little guy if you have a chance, tho...

Last edited:
I did not read all the posts, but will tell you from experience that if the fawn has not been kept very long, it should be returned. It's mother will hear its cries and come for it. A Doe normally lives in a specific area for their lifetime, unless forced to move due to humans building homes, industry, etc. If the fawn was found in a wooded area... take it back. Maybe release it and try to keep an eye on it from a distance till its mother returns for it. Sometimes another doe will adopt it.

My husband and I raised whitetails for many years and have had many of these "abandoned" babies brought to us. For many it was too late because the finders tried to raise it themselves and did not know how to properly tend to it. It is difficult for someone without whitetail knowledge to raise a fawn.

One another note, these fawns grow up eventually. Most states have laws concerning releasing "pet" wildlife back into the wild. They are no longer wild and do not fear humans. One of our bucks got out once and my neighbor called hysterically stating that my buck "Hunter" was on her front porch trying to get into her house!

That brings us to another issue... bucks can be very dangerous during their rut (breeding period) and have been known to turn on their owners. We've had some wonderful pet deer, my favorite named Destiny. But again, I would never advise anyone to take in any wild critter and making a pet out of it.

26140_wanda_destiny2.jpg

My husband and I found a baby whitetail on the side of the road trying to nurse on his dead momma. We brought him home and fed him a dietary suppliment for calves. Not good, they get the scours (diarhea). After that I found a lady with goats and bought fresh goat milk everyday for him and bottle fed him. You do have to stimulate to potty. After a few weeks we started avoiding him except for feedings. Less and less contact over time. He finally started wandering into the woods but liked to graze in our horse pasture daily. But time went on and he became leary of us and would run when we came out into the yard. Which is what we wanted. Kids wanted to put an orange collar on him but told them it wasnt a good idea because hunters would still shout reguardless. I have seen him from time to time near my horses but I think we did the right thing by saving him from the roadside and avoiding as much contact as possible. I worked for animal control for years and raised many babies. Less human contct the better. I still have 9 baby oppossums that I was raising that I cant find. Disappeared in my house somewhere. Must of gotten outside somehow because they were never found! And no we didnt have dogs or cats in the house that would of eaten them.

The PA game commission says to put the fawn back where found that "the mother WILL come and get it" it is very illegal to even touch a wild deer here in PA. I dont' know what happened to this fawn but if the GC finds out they are normally NOT very nice about it so be prepaired for a scolding. Our neighbor brought a fawn to us one time and my mom called the GC and she got told that she could be fined hugely just for letting teh fawn on her property...so my mom flipped out on the neighbor and told him to take the fawn back to where it was found. THe mother WILL take it back... the GC says so so I tend to believe them. Don't try to raise it put it back.

Back
Top Bottom