OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Mini do the peepers affect their ability to free range?
If it blocks their direct line of sight then how about scratching & looking for bugs & such?
they do seem less efficient at free ranging when wearing peepers. They still scratch and find bugs and after a short while you will see them turn their head to look down at the ground to search as they get use to the peepers.

I personally am not a fan of beak trimming. If I get one that likes to pick others I will use the peepers to block the direct sight of the bird wearing them. They are like little plastic glasses that only impair their direct line of sight in front of them to prevent them from being able to get a good strike on another bird
interesting. I may look into those. I've seen a SLW breeder in Mechanicsburg that uses something on beaks, is this the same thing?

they do seem less efficient at free ranging when wearing peepers. They still scratch and find bugs and after a short while you will see them turn their head to look down at the ground to search as they get use to the peepers.
was gonna ask same thing..thx for responding.
What do I do? I was fixing up the new girls then checked on the coop girls. Black australorp was getting pecked on so bad she's bleeding. I pulled her out and put no peck on then separated her from the others then put the hen healer on since she won't be getting pecked on she can heal.

Honestly I would use peepers. They can still free range and see predators from overhead, they just may not catch as much stuff when eating

thank you. Isn't it same as clipping beaks then? Or its just not so physical? I know I need to do something asap
It's not so physical and also the beak is a source of defense if they are attacked. If you blunt it then it won't do as much damage. In the end either way will work but I feel like the peepers may give them a slim chance if they get attacked, at least they can try to peck the attacker.

It's not so physical and also the beak is a source of defense if they are attacked. If you blunt it then it won't do as much damage. In the end either way will work but I feel like the peepers may give them a slim chance if they get attacked, at least they can try to peck the attacker.
nice! I've been reading about them, says only use for 2 weeks, that's not enough time to change. Do you leave on for how long?

@mamatink7 I've used the pinless peepers for almost 2 months w/ my mean leghorns and silver Wyandottes and I tell you they worked great. I almost culled the mean girls on my first year w/ chickens yet I was so torn since they were great layers- enter peepers and they worked. I have 3 generations of hens living together now including the old meanies, luckily I have never had to use it again since they turned nice after the peeps. Not sure if they became nice since they matures and the peepers just bought them time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom