OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I found 2 cream legbar pullets to add to my flock of 6 CCL's now!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
more rhodebar pics tomorrow also. I plan on getting all the little rhodebars and the partridge silkies outside along with the remainder of the chocolate/black/blue ameraucanas too. New pen going in. I just love when I get a new pen built. I feel that much closer to having breeding pens for next year.

more rhodebar pics tomorrow also.  I plan on getting all the little rhodebars and the partridge silkies outside along with the remainder of the chocolate/black/blue ameraucanas too.  New pen going in.  I just love when I get a new pen built.  I feel that much closer to having breeding pens for next year.

When I returned the birds you took the boy and asked the roo if he had a cleft pallet. You obviously seen something going on with his mouth area. Could that be what I was seeing?

What is your opinion of his beak? Is it correcct or do you see an issue?

I found something seriously wrong on our farm!
now that i have your attention, i wanted to tell you all a story about something that happened here.

yesterday morning (Saturday) i went out to the barn and in one pen found 5 out of 8 dead. these were about 2 months old, and on Friday had shown no signs of illness. about a week ago i had moved them from the brooder to an indoor grow pen. they were well protected from weather, no signs of picking or predator attack.

from this point im checking for other symptoms of illness. the 3 surviving chicks seemed fine. the weight on all chickens was ok, not to heavy, not to light. crops were full, legs didn't appear to show signs of dehydration. no signs of diarehea, no mites or lice. no mucus, no signs of swelling around the eyes or combs. no signs of worms.

i know what the cause is, but does anyone else want to take a guess?

*edited to add hint: it was not poison, but from the time the problem started - death probably resulted within 2 hours.

Last edited:
now for the parts of the story that gives it away.

i have been working a regular job too, to help get us through the winter. my daughters have been helping us feed. when i moved the chicks i was mixing their feed, (starter and a ground version of our regular feed). my daughters, not knowing any better gave the chicks my "adult chicken" feed that contains large cracked corn, sunflower and large pellets. in all 5 chicks i found a pellet in their throat. they had choked to death on the large feed.

Hey buckeyes I live in Frankfort Ohio and I'm trying to sell my partridge silkie rooster he was born this past spring and he crows,mates,and would love some hens of his own he doesn't attack at all all and I have too many roosters.He was born under my silkie hen and there was 3 all together he has a sister and a brother and they are all silkie except there combs are single when pure silkies have walnut combs but the rest of them are silkie so not too sure about that but I still have his brother and sister and I wouldn't mind to sell both roosters one of them is a partridge other rooster is buff and hen is white,like I said to many roosters and would love to sell one or both if interested you can private message me..thanks

Back
Top Bottom