OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

mlaff have you checked into commercial incubators yet?
lau.gif
cute chicks, and beautiful kids!

mlaff have you checked into commercial incubators yet?
lau.gif
cute chicks, and beautiful kids!
Yes I have. But unfortunately, or fortunately for my DH, it is so out of my price range. I am so over loaded with chicks right now it's not funny. Well, yeah it is. :D I have contacted a couple of people about doghouses I saw on Craig's list that have removable tops. :D I figure I could make the doors for myself and most of the are pretty big and cheap. All I have to do is paint them to match my big coop. Hehehe. I am also planning on dividing my big coop to use as a teen home until they are big enough to be with the older ones. Most of the older ones jump the fence and free range all day anyway.My schedule with school is making everything hard and then I start working in 2 weeks. Hopefully I can get the big coop done by then and at least pick up 2 or 3 houses for the breeders ;)

I have decided not to buy any more until I get what I have properly caged. we just picked up 14 sheets of used 14 feet long sheet metal, thinking about making another shed out of it.

is there any place on earth where the temperature stays 68* and it only rains once a week? im thinking about moving it is so hot and sticky out there.
gig.gif

Northern Michigan is idyllic in the summertime. You just don't want to be there in the winter. LOL.

rick

Hi everyone. New guy here trying to get his chicks in a row. :)

Are there any breeders in SW Ohio I can contact? I'm just southeast of Dayton. I'm leaning towards starting with pullets instead of chicks since this is our first experience. A small flock of five hens is our target and I'd love some mix of Easter Eggers, Australorps, RIR, Plymouth Rock.

After months of reading and research, I think I finally have my coop and run design finished and its time to start building. It'll probably go slow since I'll only hammer on nights and weekends so Im guessing I have a little time yet.

Any advice or local resources I can bug? :)

Thanks.

Hi everyone. New guy here trying to get his chicks in a row. :)

Are there any breeders in SW Ohio I can contact? I'm just southeast of Dayton. I'm leaning towards starting with pullets instead of chicks since this is our first experience. A small flock of five hens is our target and I'd love some mix of Easter Eggers, Australorps, RIR, Plymouth Rock.

After months of reading and research, I think I finally have my coop and run design finished and its time to start building. It'll probably go slow since I'll only hammer on nights and weekends so Im guessing I have a little time yet.

Any advice or local resources I can bug? :)

Thanks.
If you're not wanting anything right now, I should have some pure ameracauna and EE pullets late this year.

welcome to byc mike. craigslist is a great place to look for chickens. local swaps and flea markets will usually have them too. be careful of what you pick up, adults are always being sold for a reason. look at their legs, make sure they are smooth. check around their vents for lice and mites. watch for swollen eyes combs and wattles. if you can look at the farm they are from, look for a recent BM and check it for the dark brown and white colors. listen to their breathing, and smell their mouth if you hear rattling or smell any strong smells, don't buy. also look under the wings for feathers stiffened by mucus, again don't buy them if you see it.

people shy away from chickens that have feathers missing from the back of their heads, and missing feathers on the back. these chickens are normally fine, they were just "overused" by the rooster.

I am sorting through my stock, but not selling yet.

edited to add: if you cant find anything else, I do have several straight run chicks - more than I need, so the price will be right on them.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. New guy here trying to get his chicks in a row.
smile.png

Any advice or local resources I can bug?
smile.png

Thanks.

If you were interested in Buckeyes, I know of a guy in Miamisburg who might have some.

rick

welcome to byc mike. craigslist is a great place to look for chickens. local swaps and flea markets will usually have them too. be careful of what you pick up, adults are always being sold for a reason. look at their legs, make sure they are smooth. check around their vents for lice and mites. watch for swollen eyes combs and wattles. if you can look at the farm they are from, look for a recent BM and check it for the dark brown and white colors. listen to their breathing, and smell their mouth if you hear rattling or smell any strong smells, don't buy. also look under the wings for feathers stiffened by mucus, again don't buy them if you see it.

people shy away from chickens that have feathers missing from the back of their heads, and missing feathers on the back. these chickens are normally fine, they were just "overused" by the rooster.

I am sorting through my stock, but not selling yet.

edited to add: if you cant find anything else, I do have several straight run chicks - more than I need, so the price will be right on them.

I have a couple of those overused hens. the roo is looking for a new home or the stew pot.

Than
sorry to hear this, the run problem is easy, some mulch or dust- even some straw. I usually stay away from straw because of mites, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

if you need this done - people who pump septic tanks will normally be set up to pump basements. I hope it wasn't a finished basement. also once you get it dried up, run a dehumidifier; that's how black mold gets started in a lot of homes.

Thanks! Luckily it is an unfinished basement, and I put my valuable stuff in plastic bins after this happened last time. The sump pump eventually caught up, and i shop-vacced the rest. So nothing but an inconvenience, but a large one!

I've always put hay down in my static run whenever it starts getting too nasty. It works wonders for keeping the mud down and gives the chickens something to kick around and snack on. So far no mites! The creek has stopped running, but it's pretty muddy out there now.

Back
Top Bottom