OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I finally get dried out from getting stuck in the rain trying to fix a broken down vehicle yesterday & get totally drenched trying to load birds for the swap just now...UUUUGGGGHHHH
@ShayBaby I'm in Roseville now, was in Lancaster yesterday, moving to Fresno soon & headed to Mt Hope tomorrow. Which are you closest to? I have about 75-100 birds headed to the swap tomorrow unless someone buys them today. Also have a goat & a rabbit for sale. Anyone wanting any PM me now & come get them! Save me a trip...lol

:lau someone told me that Ohio is the only place you can get a sunburn and frostbite in the same day!!!! :gig  
Well, our hens aren't laying like I think they should be.  We lot 7 so far, one to a weasel and 6 to a fox!!! So that is one reason they are down.  We moved the marans into a breeding pen a little over a 1 1/2 weeks ago.  They stopped laying for about a week, but are now just starting back up.  We were getting 15-20 eggs a day.  They dropped to 5-6 a day, now were are up to 9-10.  So I think there was a combination of issues that caused them to slow way down, but I really believe the weather plays a big part.  Hot and sweltering 1 day and cold and rainy the next!! It screws my system up, why not the hens!!! :lol: I also don't think my main maran roo is doing his part. I have 3 hens in with him, but so far I haven't seen any signs of fertilization on their eggs.  They were not apart of his main harem.  He is always walking around the fence of the pen, keeping watch on the other hens and roos!! I hope he gets busy in the next week or two. I only wanted to keep them in there about 6 weeks. 

I believe it! :lau
20 a day! I can't imagine! (Although, once all my gals start laying, I should be getting about 30..yikes). I can hear Brian laughing now, if he's lurking. :lol:
Get busy, Mr. Roo!

Ugh this rain seriously needs to go away! My girls need to be in the grass!

Amen. I was expecting that big storm and tornado warning to hit us hard yesterday (I know we have folks here from Cedarville, hope everyone's ok!!), so I ran all the chickens and ducks (save for the free-range roos who were on their own lol) back in their sweltering coop yesterday afternoon and shut it up tight. Kept watching the radar and every bit of the storm swerved right around us. Never got more than a mild rain. When I let the birds back out this morning, I was greeted with a couple growls and pecks. :gig

I finally get dried out from getting stuck in the rain trying to fix a broken down vehicle yesterday & get totally drenched trying to load birds for the swap just now...UUUUGGGGHHHH
@ShayBaby I'm in Roseville now, was in Lancaster yesterday, moving to Fresno soon & headed to Mt Hope tomorrow. Which are you closest to? I have about 75-100 birds headed to the swap tomorrow unless someone buys them today. Also have a goat & a rabbit for sale. Anyone wanting any PM me now & come get them! Save me a trip...lol

Fresno, ok. That makes it a little easier to resist temptation. :p That's a lot of traveling - sounds exhausting! :hugs
I'm in Lucasville, so only about 1.5 hours from Lancaster. I don't know how DH would react if I spring more new birds that I want on him lol, after I found some on Craigslist I told him I want, and we're meant to be saving for a new storage shed in a few weeks. :oops:

:lau someone told me that Ohio is the only place you can get a sunburn and frostbite in the same day!!!! :gig  
Well, our hens aren't laying like I think they should be.  We lot 7 so far, one to a weasel and 6 to a fox!!! So that is one reason they are down.  We moved the marans into a breeding pen a little over a 1 1/2 weeks ago.  They stopped laying for about a week, but are now just starting back up.  We were getting 15-20 eggs a day.  They dropped to 5-6 a day, now were are up to 9-10.  So I think there was a combination of issues that caused them to slow way down, but I really believe the weather plays a big part.  Hot and sweltering 1 day and cold and rainy the next!! It screws my system up, why not the hens!!! :lol: I also don't think my main maran roo is doing his part. I have 3 hens in with him, but so far I haven't seen any signs of fertilization on their eggs.  They were not apart of his main harem.  He is always walking around the fence of the pen, keeping watch on the other hens and roos!! I hope he gets busy in the next week or two. I only wanted to keep them in there about 6 weeks. 

I believe it! :lau
20 a day! I can't imagine! (Although, once all my gals start laying, I should be getting about 30..yikes). I can hear Brian laughing now, if he's lurking. :lol:
Get busy, Mr. Roo!

Ugh this rain seriously needs to go away! My girls need to be in the grass!

Amen. I was expecting that big storm and tornado warning to hit us hard yesterday (I know we have folks here from Cedarville, hope everyone's ok!!), so I ran all the chickens and ducks (save for the free-range roos who were on their own lol) back in their sweltering coop yesterday afternoon and shut it up tight. Kept watching the radar and every bit of the storm swerved right around us. Never got more than a mild rain. When I let the birds back out this morning, I was greeted with a couple growls and pecks. :gig

Fresno, ok. That makes it a little easier to resist temptation. :p That's a lot of traveling - sounds exhausting! :hugs
I'm in Lucasville, so only about 1.5 hours from Lancaster. I don't know how DH would react if I spring more new birds that I want on him lol, after I found some on Craigslist I told him I want, and we're meant to be saving for a new storage shed in a few weeks. :oops:

I can ship ;)

@ShayBaby Yea I was doing the same, when I went out to feed and water the chicks and dog this morning every one was mad at me! But I took them all some scraps and fresh water and they forgave me.

Dont know if anyone remembers the chicken swap last year when i brought our baby goat with us,her name is ruby....well ruby is all grown up now and just had her very first baby last night.it is baby boy

Dont know if anyone remembers the chicken swap last year when i brought our baby goat with us,her name is ruby....well ruby is all grown up now and just had her very first baby last night.it is baby boy

I do remember her!!! She was such a cutie! AWWW congrats! You will have to post a pic! Do you have the daddy also? I would love to get a goat or 2. What kind is she?

Hi all! Just joined I'm from Archbold Ohio, small town about 45 minutes from Toledo. We have a barred rock and golden comet that are about 5 weeks, 3 Ameracuanas, a barred rock and what I think is another golden comet (May be a buff Orpington) that are 3 days old. We also have a 100 meat chickens. I'm new to laying hens and have fallen in love!! Hubby said we could have more so I'm on the look out for some new gals!

silkiesensation~~~Where did you get the emoticon on the "get busy Mr. Roo" post! I love that!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom