OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

The wind is the devil! I shoveled out the smallish drift yesterday so I could get to work. Today it was much worse so hubby had to get out the John Deere to clear a path so I could go grocery shopping and stop by TSC (needed meal worms and grit, the pond beach is all snow-covered and I figure the ladies need grit in the run and coop. I didn't open the run door all the way, but propped it open just enough that they can come out if they want. They haven't wanted to yet, lol. I am glad I put up plastic around 90% of the run, it really makes a big difference and they are happy to come out of the coop and scratch around in the sand a bit. With no heat lamp in the coop this year, they seem to have grown more feathers/down as they looks fluffier...maybe we just feed them a bit too much, lol.

I just took them some old dried bread for a late treat, but mostly to keep that rooster to keep busy while I put in a small container of grit and another of suet cake. They love suet cake, it's got all sorts of seed, corn, and dried fruit in it. They have not put one toe out of the run today, so I just shut the door and they are set for the night.

Been very windy, snow blowing in the run and on the their feeders no one wants to go out. So I threw in a head of cabbage in the coop and cup full of sunflower seeds, will be single digit tonite might close the pop door.

Last edited:
All of these cold nights and snowy roads have me looking through my hatchery catalog and anxiously waiting for spring. I love winter, but I love watching chicks and ducklings even more. I really want to get a silkie hen, a frizzle cochin or a sizzle and a serama this year if I can find them.

I have not gotten infected by chicken math as yet. I am completely fine with the 6 I have and will not get more until I lose some. They are funny critters and I like getting eggs, and in fact, I like finding ways to upgrade the coop to make it easier to care for them. And right now, I am crossing my fingers that the guys will be finally re-shingling the coop and run roof tomorrow. Hubby bought the shingles today, but it might rain tomorrow, and then they will not do it, and I will have to deal with damp bedding and poop board.

I was infected the minute I contacted the breeder I got my first chicks from. She kept adding to the list of breeds she had available and I kept going back to my husband asking for "just one more chick." I really want a silkie for hatching eggs. The frizzle or sizzle would be for breeding fun and the serama is just a favorite that I want as a pet. Once I raised the girls that will lay my golden eggs I wanted to get some favorites for my flock.

My husband and I are going to build a new coop after the ground dries out. I'm not enjoying the one we built last summer. Hopefully this one will be a lot better now that we know what we're doing.

Back
Top Bottom