OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I got butterball out of the breeding pen today and took some pictures of her roaming around the yard. Trying to brighten such a dismal day here at the farm. I absolutely love this little hen!

Her name is fitting. Does she have legs?
1f606.png
Her coloring says BCM to me. Such a beauty.

Hocking Hills Buckeyes here just discovering the Ohio board. We are a year into our chicken journey and are thoroughly enjoying our new family of 8 hens. Our Amberlink just learned a new trick to get attention...she'll run up and untie a shoe to get you to stop and give her a scratch. This morning I double tied my laces and she tugged until I picked her up. These girls are a hoot!
Cheers from Clear Creek!

Hocking Hills Buckeyes here just discovering the Ohio board. We are a year into our chicken journey and are thoroughly enjoying our new family of 8 hens. Our Amberlink just learned a new trick to get attention...she'll run up and untie a shoe to get you to stop and give her a scratch. This morning I double tied my laces and she tugged until I picked her up. These girls are a hoot!
Cheers from Clear Creek!

frow.gif
Howdy!
I'm actually across the river from Marietta, but the Ohio folks are so nice, I join you guys!

Our chickens are not very friendly anymore because we spend very little time in their yard. If we ever replace them, I am going to make sure we handle them a lot more as they grow up.

This brings up something that I have been contemplating lately. Do you think friendliness in chickens is hereditary? Moreso than breed-specific?

I have lavender orpingtons, handled them a bunch when they were little, but they never got very friendly (much better now as adults, though) Everyone says they are lap chickens. Well mine aren't!
roll.png

I have a flock of Seramas that run from me, even after I handled them quite a bit as babies. They are "supposed" to love human interaction. Mine don't really care.
But I recently hatched more, from another source, and they are super sweet!

I have cochins, and some are easy to handle, some are not. Almost all of my OEGB's are very friendly, even the ones that I didn't get to work with as much. And even the broody raised ones. But those came from my original ones that I did handle.

Things that make ya go hmmmmmm....
hu.gif

Cheers from Clear Creek!

Welcome to Buckeye board! Your Amberlink must be related to my only Speckled Sussex, she tugged on my shoe laces, pants and hand until I pick her up to pet then she will stop and will go on her way. Be wary of chicken math, I was able to resist having more chicks until the 2nd year into it then I have to renovate and enlarge the coop and the runs 3X already. Irresistible fun!

Cheers from Clear Creek!
welcome to the Ohio thread!

Back
Top Bottom