OK to have a couple of OEGB roos?

Violetsrblu

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Lakeland, TN
My flock is free ranged in a 3/4 acre fenced backyard. I have 10 hens - Easter Eggers, Dominiques and Silkies. I also have 2 Silkie cockerels that battle occasionally. Two of my Silkie hens are broody right now, so I have been thinking about buying some OEGB eggs for them to hatch. I would love to keep one or two roos that may hatch, but would that ultimately create too much unpleasantness for the whole flock?

It sounds like you already have too much drama! Game cocks are programmed to fight each other, and would certainly take care of your Silkies! On the other hand, one OEG would be a very nice single rooster for your flock. Mary

Aw... I had read somewhere that the OEGB were less aggressive than the standard, so I was hoping to have at least one little roo and keep my Silkie brothers too.

I fell in love with a pic of a gorgeous Crele OEGB rooster and the described personality of this breed, so I would love to have a few. Oh well, my Silkies go broody frequently, so I'll have plenty of time to think about whether I want to give up my fluffy guys for a new boy toy.

Thank you for your answer, Mary!

I don't think it is the breed of rooster as in the number of roosters that you are proposing. 4 roosters should have a lot more hens and a huge amount of space.

Mrs K

I agree with Mrs. K.; Way more hens and probably more separate pens. Personalities differ, so some cocks will get along better than others. Your hens won't appreciate too many males, even if they happen to not fight a lot. Mary

Yup, I forgot about the hens' quality of life due to images of pretty little roos dancing in my head! I've decided to buy 6 eggs, rehome any boys that hatch except for one, and rehome one of the two Silkie brothers.

Back
Top Bottom